The Harsh Realities of the Colorblind

The Harsh Realities of the Colorblind

The Forgotten Minority

99
The Harsh Realities of the Colorblind
humanfitproject.org

Colorblind people. Man, do we have it rough. Not only can we not see some colors, but everybody has to be incredibly nosy about it. Since I've been colorblind my whole life, I know some of the struggles that the colorblind experience. Today, I'll discuss three harsh realities of those who suffer from colorblindness.

1. The Box of Crayons

I was diagnosed with colorblindness when I was in second grade. My class went in to take eye tests, and apparently I failed the colorblindness portion of said test. I got a letter sent home, and it must have been the roughest night of my life. It was hard trying to hide this condition from my classmates. You might be asking yourself "How hard could it be? Just don't talk about being colorblind." Well, as it turns out, colorblind people have one mortal enemy ... A box of crayons. Throughout my childhood, I would confuse the brown crayon with the red crayon. It's awful to think back to a time when I would have to color a tree on a spelling test (My spelling tests had pictures we could color). I would happily pick up a crayon and color the tree. But alas, I accidentally grabbed the red crayon. The teasing I would suffer for having a red tree on my spelling test was unbearable. All because of a box of crayons and a condition I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

2. Stupid People and Their Stupid Questions

I try to avoid talking about colorblindness at all times. This is because when people find out, a typhoon of questions are thrown my way. "So you can't see any colors?," "How can you drive if you can't see any colors?," "So all apples look the same to you?," and of course, the most infuriating question: "What color is this?" When a person holds up a blue crayon with the name of the crayon facing you, and then proceeds to ask what color it is, it just seems to insult everyone's intelligence. I have red-green colorblindness. Literally the only problem I have is finding the brown crayon in a crayon box. Everything else I see the same as a non-colorblind person. A better question to be asking is what type of colorblind a person is. If a person is fully colorblind, then we could ask them demeaning questions. That's funnier because life looks like a Charlie Chaplin film to them.

3. Want to be a Pilot? Too Bad

Okay, so it turns out that this only really affects people who are very colorblind. Like, super colorblind. So I was going to complain about how I can't do it, but it turns out I can be a pilot (not that I want to be a pilot). Also, when I sit down and think about it, fully colorblind people should not be flying planes anyway. But, still, so much for equality, right guys?

Thanks for reading! Hope you liked it!