Colleges Making Standardized Tests Optional

Colleges Are finally Making Standardized Testing Scores Optional

Higher education institutions are slowly beginning to realize the flaws in standardized testing.

15

All high schoolers know about the pain behind the most hated tests in their careers: the SAT and ACT. Students that are already packed with homework, extracurricular activities and immense pressure must take either the SAT or ACT. High schoolers are plagued with the task of completing these tests to show colleges their alleged "readiness" for its rigor. In reality, these standardized tests merely show one's ability to manage time and create educated guesses, and colleges are finally starting to realize that.

The SAT and ACT are standardized tests administered across the world for colleges to use during the admissions process depending on each student's score. Both tests are very similar in content, except for the fact that the ACT includes a science section, and there are more math questions on the SAT. These tests have been huge stressors on the high school population, as some tests are easier than others. For example, the May SAT may have been more difficult than the July SAT, so there is no way of knowing when the best time to take the test is to maximize one's score.

Taking these two tests is not cheap. Just registering for the testcosts around $50, with add-ons like the essay costing around $17 and the Question-Answer-Service costing around $18. Receiving an adequate grade on these tests requires the time for studying and, in some cases, the money for tutoring. The test itself is expensive, but attaining a good score to not have to take it again is even more expensive and time-consuming.

A couple of weeks ago, I was visiting George Washington University in Washington, DC, and as I was sitting in on the admissions lecture before the tour, I noticed that the SAT and ACT were optional. George Washington University is in the Top 60 list of best national universities according to the US News, and I was quite surprised to hear that they did not require such common and stressed tests like the SAT and ACT. Right after that tour, I went to American University and learned that they did not require them either. As I began to do more research on other colleges, I found that Wake Forest University, New York University and — as of recently — the highly-prestigious University of Chicago do not require them either.

Extremely reputable schools are making the SAT and ACT solely voluntary, but why? Why would these schools chop out a huge part of the admissions process that the majority of other colleges use when evaluating prospective students? The answer is simple: these tests are not accurate when assessing a student's academic profile and overall well-roundedness.

As someone who has taken both the SAT and ACT multiple times, much of the material on the tests includes basic concepts taught in late middle school to early high school. Academically, the test is not too much of a challenge. My biggest struggle when taking these tests is the scarce amount time allowed in each section.

I believe I speak on behalf of many other students when I say that these tests are not completely precise when determining your scholastic character and entity. Although the tests include a variety of content from an average high school curriculum, with the right training, students can easily form guessing strategies to obtain high scores. Tutors spend little time teaching students the actual material on the test and spend most time teaching them master plan for choosing the best estimations.

Along with easy manipulation of standardized tests, colleges are beginning to see that the rigor of one's schedule (classes taken) and how well they did in them (GPA) are much better, more accurate tellers of student success and academic capability. Transcripts are straight-to-the-point documents, and more focus on them leaves other parts of the application like the essay and extra curricular activities with more weight as well. When the standardized test scores are taken out, applicants look less like robots and more like people with lives beyond schooling. Colleges need to become acquainted with their future students on a more personal level, and taking away the SAT and ACT will do just that.