Summer Expectations Vs Realities

How Every College Girl Pictured Summer Going Vs. What It Is Actually Like

Anyone else not living the summer of their dreams?

4482
https://www.pexels.com/photo/beach-blue-sky-cheerful-clouds-452738/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BksPeCaA4u9/?hl=en&tagged=summertime

At the end of every school year I tell myself I am going to make the most out of the summer.

I come up with a whole list of things I want to do like get a tan or have spontaneous get-togethers with my friends or finally spend some time on my hobbies. And every year I act completely shocked when I don't do a single thing on my list. I want to be like Phineas and Ferb, but I feel more like their mom doing chores and running errands.

Does anyone else feel like their summer expectations do not equal their summer realities?

Expectation: Hanging out with your friends all the time

You are so ready to spend every waking minute with your friends. You are going to go to the pool and the beach and the mall and just chill in your room. Every moment is going to be friend filled.

Reality: No one is home for the summer

Instead, none of your friends from college live by you and your friends from high school decided to study abroad or stay at school. You probably have one friend who you can actually hang out with.

Expectation: Getting a nice tan

After spending an entire year watching yourself begin to look like a ghost you are finally going to have sun kissed skin.

Reality: You're still pale because you stay inside all day

Instead, you still look like a ghost because you never go outside. To be tan you have to actually leave the house.

Expectation: Finally having free time

Sometimes it can feel like you're drowning from all the classes, homework, work and extracurriculars you have during the school year. Now that it's summer you can finally just relax and not have every single minute of your day booked.

Reality: Having to work the entire day

Instead, you are working almost 40 hours a week but not quite 40 hours because your boss doesn't want to pay you more. There goes your free time. Right down the drain.

Expectation: Not having any responsibilities

No school means no responsibilities. You can do whatever you want whenever you want.

Reality: CHORES

Instead, your parents saddle you with more chores than you thought even existed like scrubbing cabinets and painting window sills.

Expectation: Having a summer romance

You've seen it on TV and in the movies. You've read about it in books. And now it's going to happen to you: a summer romance.

Reality: You don't even meet a potential love interest

Remember how none of your friends are home? Yeah, with no friends that means you won't leave the house which means you won't meet a potential love interest. You probably won't even meet anyone new because you've had the same summer job since you were fifteen and so has everyone you work with.

Expectation: Finally having time to pursue your hobbies

You were really busy during the school year, so you didn't have any time to pursue your hobbies. Now that it's summer you've got tons and tons of free time to do it.

Reality: Spending your free time sitting on the couch instead

The school year has completely burned you out, so instead of finally reading all those books you bought or finally writing your story idea or playing sports again you just sit on the couch and watch TV cursing yourself for wasting your summer.