7 Films To Get You Out Of Your College Style Rut

Upgrade your wardrobe with new cinematic features.

45
Mental Floss

It can be easy to fall into a rut while pursuing a college education. Active-wear, sweatpants, and graphic tees are the typical culprits found in a college student's closet, usually trusted and depended on for comfort and the hassle-free efforts involved.

Observing various outfits from films can have a great impact in catalyzing an individual's creative juices. So if you find yourself throwing on the same uniform before class, take some inspiration from these great movies.

1. The Graduate (1967)

Elaine Robinson's college wardrobe includes trench coats, over-sized sweaters and white denim jeans. Comfortable enough to wander around campus, have a date at the zoo and avoid a desperate Dustin Hoffman.

2. Love Story (1970)

Similar to Elaine Robinson, Jenny Cavalleri also wears trench coats and turtle necks throughout the romantic drama. She also has a penchant for red-colored ensembles that include red stockings, red dresses and red hats.

3. Legally Blonde (2001)

In this understated feminist classic; Reese Witherspoon plays a recently-dumped Harvard Law student, ascending towards academic and professional success while proving to her classmates that she is not a stereotypical dumb-blonde. Elle Woods is dressed in feminine pink outfits throughout the film, despite scenes in which Ms. Woods is working as an intern, utilizing sleek collared dress and structured blazers.

4. Tall Story (1960)

Jane Fonda and Anthony Perkins play college sweethearts in this romantic comedy. Fonda's character, a cheerleader, wears long pleated dresses with the silhouette of a small waist and full skirt while Perkins opts for patterned blazers and basketball jerseys.

5. Irrational Man (2015)

Emma Stone plays Jill Pollard in this Woody Allen New England-set mystery drama. Her carefree wardrobe includes a variety of flowing tunic dresses and peasant-style sleeveless blouses, made from embroidered cotton and linens.

6. Mona Lisa Smile (2003)

This film centers around a class of college students who are attending Wellesley College in 1953. The outfits worn are typical of it's time period, long tent-like skirts, gloves, tight sweaters and Dior suits with dramatic silhouettes.

7. The House Bunny (2008)

A beautiful playmate is kicked out of the Playboy Mansion under false pretenses related to her age. She stumbles upon a dingy sorority house and gives all of the members makeovers, boosting their confidence and saving the sorority altogether. The students wear colorful ensembles that include bright capri pants, thick patterned headbands, short mini-skirts and belts.