How To Market Yourself Well As A College Student

You, Yes You, Can Use Media To Market Yourself And Build Your Future

Keeping up with your professional media is equally as important as studying for your future career!

152

Thinking about our lives in the current, college is the only thing on our minds. Getting through the day, going to class, studying, quizzes and exams, and seeing our friends. But for a few hours a week, take your mindset into the future! College is only four years of our lives, and it goes by in an absolute blink of an eye.

One day I was moving into my freshman dorm and all of the sudden I am here, writing to you from my first apartment! With that has come the knowledge and experience of the changes that I have made in my life. I went from a simplistic industry where simply walking into a place of business would land you an internship

. Now, I am working to establish myself in an industry where digital communication is of the utmost importance.

When applying, the person reading those applications is somewhat interested in who you are. But simply saying I am dedicated, I want to work for you, and your hobbies. They want to know that you bring skills that are applicable to them to the table. Any employer wants to see this, but digitally you need to display your competence vs. just meeting in person and expressing what you may be able to do.

This past summer I was late on applying to internships, so I applied to a bunch that was still hiring just to see what would happen. Guess what? No responses.

Finally out of what seemed like nowhere, an incredible company approached me with the offer of remote apprenticeships. It was exactly the opportunity I needed to earn the experience I needed to move forward in the world of marketing. I worked for a few hours a week creating campaigns and doing copywriting work.

This took me from having simple skills to be able to use many of the techniques that are important to those looking to take interns under their wings want.

By putting my name out there and applying, I found great opportunity through this company! It then taught me to increase my digital presence, get out there on LinkedIn and similar sites, beef up my resume, and talk to as many professionals in the field as I could. Make sure to use every resource in advising and through colleges as you can, it will absolutely pay off.

Just reminder that only you can help yourself to move further in your passions, find what that it is and do not let anyone stop you!