We Get It, You're A College Student Who Misses Their Dog

When we left home, we didn't anticipate the sadness of a long-distance relationship.

59

If you're a college student who lives any distance away from your dogs, you know how difficult it is to go through your day without some fuzzy companionship. You left home knowing that life without your dog would be hard, but you really had no option but to ignore the big hole in your heart where your dog should be. However, you find yourself feeling the pain of a dog-less life every once in a while, and sometimes you can't help but inadvertently project your desire to be reunited with your four-legged best friend. In fact, you may find yourself doing all of these things:

1. When your parents call, you ask how your dog is.

This isn't just something you ask every once in a while, it's something you ask every time someone at home is on the phone. You know your heart might ache a little when your parents remind you of how awesome your dog is, but you can't help but ask the question because you care so much.

2. You ask to talk to your dog.

Whether or not your dog can discern your voice over the phone or through Skype, it's reassuring to know that your dog is still present and waiting for your next visit. On the off chance that your dog recognizes your voice, you automatically feel an odd mixture of exuberance and sadness. Your dog still thinks about you, but you're not there to snuggle them.

3. A portion of your day is spent watching dog videos.

Once you see one on Facebook, the videos never end. You laugh, you cry, and you remember all the comical and adorable things your dog did when you were there to witness them.

4. Seeing other dogs makes you sad.

When walking around campus, it's easy to spot a cuddly canine here and there, and immediately succumb to the urge to pet them with the hope that you'll get your puppy fix. Unfortunately, nothing is as satisfying as petting your favorite dog. Sometimes, tears can't help but spring to your eyes.

5. You spend to much time with other people's dogs.

You can still try to catch a glimpse of your dog's personality in another people's dogs. The longer you scratch behind their ears the more you may be able to find the characteristics that make your dog so special. You either walk away disappointed, or find confirmation that your dog is still better than all the other dogs.

We can all agree that college is fun, but it would be a lot more enjoyable if our furry buddies could accompany us. We count down the weeks, days, and hours until we arrive home and a wagging tail greets us at the door. There may be tears until then, but it'll all be worth it when we have our puppies at our sides once again.