10 Things In College That Are Way Spookier Than Any Ghost Story Or Horror Movie

Someone should make a horror movie about the Canvas app.

211
Photo by Andrew Neel on Unsplash, Edit by Gracie Dougherty

Yes, Halloween can certainly be one of the spookiest times of the year. But do you know what the real spooky season is? It's finals week. And midterm week. And registration. And pretty much all of college.

You might think that "The Conjuring", "A Nightmare on Elm Street", or the ghost stories you hear around a campfire are scary, but I guarantee that these ten things you encounter in college are even spookier.

1. Getting notifications from Canvas.

The Canvas app is probably one of the scariest parts of college in itself, but having the notifications turned on is even scarier. If someone made a horror movie that was centered around people getting Canvas notifications, I'd watch it, I'd be terrified, and I'd heavily relate.

2. Forgetting to set your alarm. 

You know that feeling when you frantically wake up from a dream to see that your class started twenty minutes ago? Then you realize you never set your alarm the night before? Yeah, that's terrifying.

3. Checking your bank account. 

Just like any paranormal activity, you can ignore it for awhile, but at some point, you're going to have to look at it and face its horror. It's definitely a spooky feeling to see that the $826.71 you had two months ago has somehow been possessed and transformed into $11.48.

4. Trying to pick a major. 

Most people have to pick their major while they're still in high school doing college applications. At that point, most have absolutely no idea what they want to do for the rest of their life. But hey, you can always just put something random then take a bunch of random classes...if you want to be in college for the next seven years.

5. Trying to switch your major.

Oh, you thought picking a major was scary? Try going through three years of degree-specific classes just to find out the major you picked during your freshman year isn't for you.

6. Thinking you can take an 8:00 a.m. 

I strongly believe that no sane person can take and regularly attend an 8:00 A.M. class. It may seem fine and doable during the first week of the semester, but you'll soon find out that taking a class at 8:00 A.M. is beyond scary.

7. Registering for classes. 

Picture this: You plan out your perfect class schedule weeks in advance. The day of registration comes and you wake up to your alarm at 5:50 a.m. You rush to your computer and begin refreshing your course shopping cart for the next 10 minutes, frantically waiting for the clock to hit 6:00 a.m. Finally, the time comes and you refresh the page and click on your beautiful, perfect schedule.

Oh wait, the site crashes. You wait for two minutes, then it comes back. You breathe a sigh of relief, until you realize every single class you wanted has been filled. Then for the next twenty minutes you race against thousands of students as you try to find a class you need that has open seats and fits into your already tight schedule.

That all sounds way more spooky than any scary movie I've seen. Plus, it's not even based on a true story - it IS a true story.

8. Taking your final exams.  

Final exams are pretty much equal to every jump scare from every single movie combined into one stapled packet of paper. Every flip of a page signals another horror, but then you get to walk out of the room when you're done with a sense of relief.

Oh yeah, but then comes the two week period of fear and anxiety as you wait for your professor to grade your exam so you can know if you passed the class or not.

9. Filling out your financial aid forms.

Even hearing the word "FAFSA" sends shivers down my spine. Filling out the FAFSA and other financial aid forms is a daunting task and it can get pretty terrifying, especially as a college student who still doesn't understand the tax system. And then waiting to see how much money you can receive (and eventually OWE) is so nerve-racking.

10. Checking your GPA and grades. 

Sure, Pennywise is scary, but is he as scary as checking your final transcript? No, the answer is definitely no. Filling out the GPA calculator you found online is WAY scarier than any horror movie EVER.

Happy college - whoops, I meant spooky season! Whatever, it's pretty much the same thing.