A Thank You Letter To The Best Friends I Found At College

A Thank You letter to the best friends I found in College

I wouldn't have survived college if it weren't for my college besties! You guys helped me so much and I owe you my life!

260
Personal Photo

During college, many of us hit some of our lowest points. These can include mental breakdowns, financial problems, and blackouts caused by heavy amounts of alcohol. Instead of ghosting me during my times of turmoil, you guys stood by me and helped me prevail. For that, I'm forever grateful!

Not to sound co-dependent but if it wasn't for my college friends, I probably wouldn't have graduated from Florida International University.

When I started my freshman year, I had a hard time getting used to living in a new place with new people. I went from being a senior in a class of 27 students to a freshman in a school of over 50,000 students. I also went from living with my family to sharing a bathroom with three girls I've never met. It was a huge transition especially for an 18-year-old girl from Puerto Rico.

I had many emotional nights where I almost convinced myself to drop out and move back to my island. Luckily, my roommates were also out-of-state students, so we naturally stuck together to make it through our first year. We would have countless dinner dates at the cafeteria, movie nights at Dolphin Mall and went to a couple of frat parties. They were my first friends in college and their kindness motivated me to stay.

Now I want to give a shout-out to the friends I met in class. I thought meeting people in class was going to be difficult because everyone seemed to only socialize within their clique. Luckily, I met two amazing students that made taking morning classes more than bearable. They were high school friends so I felt special when they included me into their dynamic duo (that eventually turned into a trio). Although our paths went separate ways when we headed into our core classes, I still consider their friendships an important part of my college survival.

Last but definitely not least, I want to thank my sorority. I'm not going to be fake and say all my "sisters" become my friends because that's impossible. I made really good friends with a couple of girls who I still talk to constantly.

They helped me when I was at my lowest, such as the death of my mom and when Hurricane Maria hit my home. They were also a big part of the little things in college that meant a lot to me such as, dorm room hangouts, random Facetime calls, Wendy's late-night drive-thrus, intramural games and wild but "sigma classy" wine nights. My time at FIU would have been boring and lonely without all of you. GRACIAS!

My college years may be over, but my adult life is just starting. I wouldn't be the woman I am today if it wasn't for the roles you all played in my life. Thank you and I hope you're proud of your girl!

Hopefully, our paths will cross again!