5 Ways To Relieve Stress That Don't Involve Online Shopping

Midterm season is approaching- keep these tips in mind.

9
Paige McCarthy

We've all been there: its midterms season and you have 3 exams and 2 papers all in the same week. With all the thoughts going through your head, it's okay to take time for yourself to de-stress. While it can seem tempting to just sit in your bed and add items to the cart on your computer, there are healthier (and less expensive) ways to relieve stress. As a biology major, I have experienced my fair share of stress and have compiled a list of ways I have calmed my brain. The next time you feel overwhelmed about school try one of these 5 ways to de-stress. You'll feel better, be healthy, and save your bank account!

Pop in some headphones and go for a run

Paige McCarthy

From experience, I have learned that one of the best ways to de-stress is to put on sneakers, pop in some headphones, and go for a long run either on the treadmill or around campus. As cheesy as it sounds going for a run allows me to literally sweat the stress away. Running also gives me time alone with my thoughts, and finishing a long run helps me feel accomplished.

Color

Pexel.com

Adult coloring books are a thing! You don't even have to spend money on a coloring book; there are hundreds of free coloring pages available to print online. Spending a few moments during the day to create a picture can seriously increase your endorphins- trust me on this one.

Have a dance party with friends

Pexel.com

When my friends and I are stressed, we often take a mini dance party break during our study sessions. You can either all dance to the same song and play music from your computer, or have a silent disco with your headphones in. Regardless of how the music is played, a dance party is a great way to de-stress and have fun with your friends.

Clean your room

Paige McCarthy

Ok, this one might seem like more work than relaxing, but it does help relieve stress. I've found that when I'm overwhelmed by school taking 20 minutes to clean my room helps to clear my mind. If your room is as messy and cluttered as your brain, it can add to the stress in your life. A freshly made bed and a dust-free room can help to declutter the mind and will help you feel like you accomplished something during the day.

Go eat something

Pexel.com

One of the first things college students forget to do during midterms is forget to eat meals. Let me just emphasize this: granola bars are not a meal. When you feel as if you can't look at the paper you're writing any longer, go take a lunch or dinner break with friends. Fueling up and having a conversation with friends will take your mind off work for a little bit. Ultimately, when you go back to work you'll be fresh and ready to go.