college admissions scandal

The College Admission Scandal From A Former College Athlete

It's a punch in the stomach...

140

Normally I don't write pieces relevant to politics or controversy to avoid the backlash of differing opinions. However, this particular topic is so interesting and I am able to draw a personal connection to it from my own past. I'm sure everyone knows by now what this scandal is all about; celebrities, athletic coaches/directors, and other parents are being charged with bribing and faking their children's way into college. One of the most notable of celebrities, Lori Loughlin and her husband Mossimo Giannulli paid a substantial sum of money for both of their daughters to attend the University of Southern California on falsified SAT scores and athletic backgrounds. Both girls were allegedly on Crew scholarships to USC which is now revealed to be entirely fabricated. There are many other families involved in this scandal, 33 to be exact; all faking their children's way into college academically or athletically.

When I first heard of this, I wasn't surprised because I assumed that celebrities paid their children's way into college anyways. However, when I read more in depth and found out about all the falsifications that were involved, I couldn't help but feel enraged. Being a former college athlete, I know what it takes to get recruited at the collegiate level, nonetheless play. The process begins for some as early as their freshman year of high school but most commonly their junior year. This involves intensive training sessions, traveling, reaching out to coaches, and pressure to perform at your best all the time. I was overwhelmed during this time of my life but it all worked out when I was recruited and set to play in college because that was my ultimate goal. Then the challenge of balancing college with practice, lift, games, traveling, conditioning, meetings, team bonding, film, etc. consumed my life.

Imagining these people faking athletic photos, previous awards and accolades, and overall pretending to be someone they aren't is outrageous. They took a spot from someone who has been working for years to compete at the collegiate level or even someone who needed to be recruited in order to attend college because of a financial burden. Someone deserving of a spot on the team was stripped of their chances simply because these families paid to fake their children's way in.

I think this is ethically and morally so wrong, and no matter the status of those involved, they should all be punished for their wrongdoings. Some may agree and some may disagree but I thought this topic was too close to home for me to ignore and not share my side of the story.