My Take On The Colin Kaepernick Controversy

Do people have the right to sit during the National Anthem?

6
AOL

We’ve all heard, read, and watched over the past couple weeks over NFL quarterback, Colin Kaepernick get criticized over every social media outlet, local news stations and from a range of reporters commentary. The question circulating around is, do people have the right to sit during the National Anthem? The answer to that is YES!

America was founded on the general belief that every American citizen has the freedom of expression and the freedom of speech. Kaepernick has every right to sit during the Anthem. He is peacefully and respectfully protesting the “oppression of those of color.” When asked by reporter, Steve Wyche why he was sitting, he answered honestly, “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

And the fact that points out these facts means should be praised! He didn’t do this stunt to get publicity or endorsements, in fact there is a high change of him getting black listed from the NFL. Many NFL executives have spoken out against him and he is now one of the most hated people by the NFL since Rae Carruth, the man who plotted to murder his pregnant girlfriend. Social activist, Harry Belafonte expressed his views towards Kaepernick stating, “I think that when a black voice raised in protest to oppression, those who are comfortable with our oppression are the first to criticize us for daring to speak out against it.”

Harry Belafonte isn’t the only person to express their support towards the Quarterback. Veterans around the country and overseas went to twitter to show their views. Airbnb Papi tweeted, “I serve for his right to protest…I don’t serve for police brutality.” Another veteran, IG Sunny Anderson, tweeted “I took an oath and served, so players on a team I don’t even like could have freedom of speech.” Veteran Coleman Chase, “Free speech is free speech, all the time.” Marco, yet another veteran tweeted, “I serve to protect your freedom, not a song.”

To be honest if you truly wanted to debate about how Kaepernick sitting during the National Anthem is disrespectful, you should read up on some history. Francis Scott Key, the writer of the Star Spangled Banner wrote more than the verse we all sing, there are actually four verses. Verse four states, “No refuge could save the hireling and slave from the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave.” So please tell me again why someone should stand for the Anthem when they are protesting the oppression of black citizens and those of color it’s not as if it is hinting about the slaughter of slaves for wanting their freedom or anything.