'Oh, You're A Christian? So, You Like Coffee Shops And Rolled Up Jeans Too?'

Jesus thrives in all kinds of people.

2212
Unsplash

I thought when I became a Christian that it meant having to love coffee, dress hipster, and have an artsy Instagram.

I believed becoming a Christian was becoming a coffee obsessed, rolled up jeans and Patagonia wearing, photography guru was the only way to the Lord.

When did being a "hipster Christian" become the only way to be a Christian?

Don't get me wrong, this is merely a generalization, I know now that there are other Christians besides the hipster ones. But growing up in this millennial based, superficial, social media driven society, I was fueled to believe there was only one way to heaven and that was fitting into this "hipster image."

It has taken me a broken relationship with Jesus to realize I will always fail at trying to meet this societal version of a Christian.

Jesus thrives in all kinds of people, athletes, hippies, preppy people, whatever you consider your style and personality to be, Jesus is still Jesus, and He can still work in you.