Drinking Coffee Taught Me A Lot About Racism And How Our Society Is A Melting Pot

If we can appreciate mixtures of colors and tastes, we can appreciate a mix of cultures.

3

Pouring cream into black coffee does not make the black coffee weak - it simply lightens the flavor so that the taste rolls more sensitively through the tongue, and creates the delicate balance between the sweet cream and dark, pungent brew. The significance of this carefully developed equilibrium can also pertain to humankind's lifelong battle with racism.

Back in the eighteenth century, there was an abundance of cream, or Caucasians, in America. As African Americans started emigrating, the "cream" gradually turned darker in color, and more sharper in taste, until we reached the tall Caffe Americano blend we see today. Even though the rich coffee beans and cream combined took a long time to overcome individual discrimination and segregation, their persistence in attempting to create equality and establish personal freedoms allowed each side to take a step forward and eventually meet each other in the middle. After their initial grudging acceptance of a diverse population, cultures started to merge - black and white turned into a mottled brown.

But an increase in black coffee over cream does not mean the cream is repressed; it just represents a more prominent Colombian roast flavor, followed by a sweet creamy aftertaste - the ratio of the two ingredients may differ in various parts of the cup, but the united front they bring to the taste buds is a flavor that only the two together can produce. Likewise, the cooperation of the two races can construct a mutual understanding of one another and can result in peace, increased prosperity and immersion into different languages and culture. Neither race is superior over the other - every human being deserves equal rights. With combined effort, we can acknowledge that we are all equal and break down another isolating barrier within society.