''Internet Cafe in Pine Bluff temporarily close despite high customer demand'' : find out why
Education

21

Recently the city of Pine Bluff, Arkansas has been undergoing gradual change towards a brighter future. Organizations like; Go Forward Pine Bluff, Tops Incorporated, and The Boys and Girls Club have been putting forth an immense effort for the development of new businesses, upgrades in education,and community economic success. As of 2017 Pine Bluff population reached 55,085 residents including students who attend (UAPB) The University of Arkansas Pine Bluff. UAPB is just one of the three historically black colleges in the state, and is the PRIDE of the city.

Despite the high consumer demand the university brings, a lack of job opportunities are still present, making retention to settle in Pine Bluff as a college graduate uncommon. In hindsight I've witnessed a few local businesses thrive ,proving this community has the potential to become a great place to start a business.

During the summer of 2018, I experienced Pine Bluff on a whole new level. Engulfed in college course work, and battling the brutal summer heat ; I was able to seek refuge at "Coffee Jones" (pictured above) an Internet cafe located on university drive. The first thing I noticed to enjoy was the convenience to campus. Immediately entering the door, Mr. Jones offered me a drink of cucumber water. Refreshing.

Mr. Jones, a Milwaukee native, operates the shop with his wife. Together they provided every customer with gratitude, which made me feel welcomed. Although the air conditioner was not working he and his wife continued to work hard for the customers needs. Being a business owner under harsh conditions can be tough. Mr. Jones and I recently spoke about how he has been battling to keep working air conditioning to cool his guest. He is always eager to hear new ideas on how he can improve the "Coffee Jones " experience and battling the heat is one thing he refuses to let his customers undergo.

On September 14, 2018 Mr. Jones decided to close the doors to "Coffee Jones" until things are resolved. Sadly the campus and community has already been affected. In good news he does plan on reopening soon with working A/C. According to the trends and challenges of Black Business ownership these issues are very similar. An overwhelming majority of black entrepreneurs surveyed, 80%, said lack of capital was the most challenging aspect of running a business. As a result, many African Americans are forced to fund their own businesses. In fact, 70% of those surveyed financed their companies using cash, while 23% received funding from friends and family. Eleven percent said they tapped into their 401(k) plans to fund their businesses.(blackenterprise.com )

Having experience in the restaurant business as a waiter, I understand the aspect of "Pleasing People" ,something Coffee Jones exerts very well. Although consistent business ownership has failed in the past I don't believe this one is going without a fight! "How can we be lions ,and not expected to roar?"

As for the future of Pine Bluff, I've seen lots of progression. In a few short years there will be a newly developed downtown , meaning more opportunities for students to find Jobs within the city. This commitment takes time and effort. Coffee Jones is just one of many thriving new businesses that face adversity in Pine Bluff. However, with a ton of community and campus support, I believe we can build this bright future, and create more success stories along the way.

Related Articles Around the Web