Good Thing We Love Coffee, It's Good For Us

And it has an interesting backstory.

6

David Letterman said: "Way too much coffee. But if it weren't for the coffee, I'd have no identifiable personality whatsoever." I think every coffee lover can identify in some way to this statement. There have been some days when I "fast" from coffee and I can definitely feel the effects of absolutely no caffeine. If you're a fellow coffee lover, you know exactly what I'm talking about. To make us feel even better about this liquid gold that we adore, I decided to Google the health benefits of coffee. Needless to say, I feel quite justified in the amount of coffee I drink.

Dr. Robert H. Shmerling at Harvard University said: "It's unusual that a food on the "cancer risk list" comes off of it — and it's even more unusual that such foods then become considered a healthy choice." Coffee is one of those "foods." In his article, Dr. Shmerling explains that studies have found that those who drink coffee have a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease (including heart attack, heart failure, and stroke) type 2 diabetes, Parkinson's disease, uterine and liver cancer, cirrhosis, and gout. While coffee surely doesn't prevent these diseases and health issues, there's no harm in drinking it and that's wonderful news!

This doesn't mean, though, that we can drink coffee willy-nilly and not worry about potential health risks. According to the Mayo Clinic, drinking too much-unfiltered coffee (espresso, for example) can lead to your cholesterol being elevated. So, make sure you drink just plain water in order to stay hydrated and keep your cholesterol in check.

Another fun fact about coffee: No one actually knows why it's often referred to as "Joe." There are several myths surrounding this simple name to call such a popular beverage. Some wonder if it came from Josephus Daniels, the Secretary of the Navy back in the early 1900s. He barred alcohol from every single U.S. Navy ship. The next strongest drink on board was coffee. According to an article on Driftaway Coffee's website: "When boarding dry ships, though, men who were used to going to the local bar or having a drink at home would have felt the ban's effects. Referring to coffee as a "cup of joe" would be one way to voice dissent and disapprove without directly criticizing the Secretary of the Navy."

Another myth suggests that the term came from Joe Martinson, founder of Martinson Coffee in 1898. Apparently, he had a larger than life personality, so the slang "Joe's coffee" or "cup of joe" became just another name for coffee for those in the business. However the name came about, it stuck and stood the test of time because everyone knows what you're talking about when you say "morning joe" or "cup of joe."

Whether you drink only a couple of cups a week or several cups a day, coffee is a beautiful beverage that is customizable to exactly how each of us individually wants it. In my opinion, that's why we love it and that's why it's universally popular. It can be easy to make, and it can be quite a process to make if you have the patience for it. Coffee brings people together as few other things can. Coffee is a meeting place, it's a smell that takes you back (or maybe it takes you to your happy place). When I smell coffee, I think of home. And there's no place I'd rather be.