Cleaning Up Your Life Can Come With Rewards And Happiness

Nothing is more satisfying than seeing all of the clutter of the house in a donation or trash bag.

5
https://unsplash.com/photos/jCPL0oxBhB0
Photo by Volha Flaxeco on Unsplash

I've been going through a lot in a span of a month. It has been through a whirlwind of change in me and my husband's life. Our house went through some emergency repairs and changes in a month. We were uprooted for a small while and haven't had nothing to do in a month and a half. With him in school now and me working full time, we had a lot of shenanigans. I decided to take an extra day off last week and I was able to do everything I've been trying to do for weeks and that is really clean our house.

I know it doesn't sound like a huge to-do and everyone should be doing it pretty much everyday (baby steps), but really taking apart our house and cleaning every inch has a satisfied feeling after. Moving into our new place a couple years ago was exciting but something about that house made me so comfortable that I didn't clean it as well as I should have. Dealing with what we are dealing with now really opened my eyes that my mental health is worse than I thought.

I praise my sweet husband for trying and keeping me happy at the expense of his mental health. He's stronger mentally then the both of us. Sometimes a warrior needs to recharge their energy, so I understand that sometimes he is not on his game. These past fair number of weeks, we've been nonstop cleaning, working and studying, and that is truly helping us become more active. Putting our house back together, the most clean it's been, is the most rewarding.

Redecorating is something that should be done as you develop your style. I've been a boho person for the majority of my life, but I'm slowly getting transforming. Everyone's style evolves as we get older. I am slowly leaning away from the ostentatious side of decor and getting into the simple side. The gaudier a place is, the more anxiety that I have because I don't like being surrounded by too much stuff. I've read that having too much around a person can cause a lot of mental stress and laziness and I've seen in my daily life. I love sparkly and vibrant colors, but I don't want too much of it.

If you ever have seen the Netflix series, "Marie Kondo," It's worth watching it. I've seen people who hate cleaning watch the show and become satisfied with the end result of each episode. Marie preaches simplicity and it's something I feel we all need to embrace during tough times in our lives. If it doesn't spark joy in you, why would you have it in the first place? It's when you clean out your life and put it in front of you, it shows that sometimes the amount of stuff you have doesn't equal to your genuine happiness. It's sometimes worth going through your stuff to let stuff go.

Noreen Bihm now writes for Medium and you can catch her under a new name :)