Chronicles Of A Sleeper: Summer Addition

A shout out to those like me who really love to sleep

14
germanmagazine.com

I ask this question honestly: who does not like to sleep? If anyone answered "me" then I do not think we are from the same planet. I have absolutely no problem going to bed at 8:30 then happily sleeping until 8:00 the next morning. Yes, I sleep like a toddler and I have no issue with it. Although this ability to sleep may seem childish and not normal, I find it okay. When people ask me if I feel like I am missing out on things by sleeping 11 hours a night, I can confidently respond "Nope!" If I don't sleep enough I am considerably more cranky and moody the next day and all around don't feel as lively. My bed is also one of my favorite places.

Any car ride longer than 35 minutes puts me to sleep. Upon arrival to the destination, I wake up refreshed and ready for the rest of the day. I do love power naps. If I find myself dragging or not excited for what the day has in store, it generally means that I need just about 10 minutes of alone time in the dark with my pillow and covers, or a welcoming couch or floor if I really just need some horizontal time.

Maybe my ability to love sleep is due to my battle with mono in the school year, and the 6th sense to feel when my body could be at risk of a relapse, or my body's ability to react to any and all allergens in the air. It could be because my dad, a grown man, still sleeps an average of eight hours a night with no trouble. I thank him for this trait.

When people describe how they only need four to five hours of sleep a night to function, I gasp because I cannot imagine such a life. When I was going to work at 7:30am, my sleep schedule did not suffer because I still managed to sleep at least eight hours a night. I usually woke up to hundred of text messages from a silenced group chat that occurred between the hours of 10:30pm and 12:30am when I was in deep sleep.

Put me in front of a movie in a dark room on a comfy couch or chair and be prepared to be next to a nodding off girl who just really loved the wonder of sleep. I will admit that I fell asleep during the seventh movie of Star Wars, and Mocking Jay Part II.

This article is a shout out to all those like me who really love to sleep. Keep going what you're doing, it's truly a beautiful thing.