To The Chronically Early

To The Chronically Early

Here are 10 reasons why being early isn't really a bad thing.

97
To The Chronically Early
Word Press

To the Chronically Early,

If you find yourself to be the first person at most every event in your life, welcome to the club for the chronically early. We tend to subscribe to the idea that 15 minutes early is on time, on time is late, and late is unacceptable. As a member of the chronically early club myself I can attest to the fact that no matter how hard we try, we just cannot be late. Apart from the occasional interference of the universe, or our nemesis (the chronically late) we will be the first ones at a party, at a lecture, at a meeting, so on and so forth -- we can’t help it! As I have had plenty of time before events to sit and ponder life, I have come up with a list of 10 reasons why being early is a blessing, sometimes in disguise.

1. You know being early isn’t all fun and games. Feeling awkward as the first one at a party or having to sit quietly in an empty classroom isn’t fun, but it’s definitely better than the feeling of possibly being late or worse actually being late.

2. You totally get the best seat selection. To all of those coming in late, stop thinking the universe is out to get you because somehow you always find yourself stuck behind the tallest person in the room. Get there early next time and you won’t have that problem!

3. You get bonus “I have my life together” points. On time, make more than a dime.

4. You never have to worry about not getting free stuff. At sporting events or concerts sometimes they have giveaways for the first hundred or so through the door. For us chronically early, sleep in you’ll still get there before the gates open.

5. You can be yourself. When I’m in a rush I definitely am not the same person I normally am. When I’m early I feel like I am at ease and can truly be my whole quirky yet fun self instead of just being a straight up mess.

6. You make more friends. Who talks to the person that comes in late? No one. Who talks to the person who comes early? Everybody and their mother, literally. I once said hi to a professor’s mom on the phone because she was so excited someone showed up to her class on time that she called her mom and made me say hi as proof.

7. You get to sleep more. Yes you might be in an empty lecture hall, but isn’t that the best place for a quick power nap! And then you sleep better because you’re not in a rush.

8. You get first choice. When you arrive early to a meeting where lunch is served you definitely get to choose from the whole assortment of sandwiches first, before you end up left with the gluten free, no fun sandwich no one wanted.

9. You set the tone. When you get to a class early, pull out a pen and a notebook and I want you to look around to see for yourself how many people also pull out a pen and notebook because they think it’s what you’re supposed to do.

10. You’re in control. You’re functioning at your fullest, you got first choice of seat and sandwich, and you just took a power nap, what else could you want? Nice job early birds!