The True Meaning Of Christmas
Christmas

Christmas Isn't About The Gifts, It's About Spending Time With Loved Ones

"It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags."

208
jim carey how the grinch stole christmas

Christmas used to be my favorite time of year when I was little. The anticipation of opening up gifts that Santa's elves had prepared on Christmas morning and watching holiday movies at school in the pajamas that I had earlier rolled out of bed in was like a drug to me. The tunes of jolly music and the smell of cookies baking in the oven brought back wonderful memories with my loved ones. One of my friends in second grade told me that Santa wasn't real and I didn't take it too harshly, all I could remember is my brain telling me that at least my parents would still buy me an abundance of presents. My grandparents would still write me a fat check.

The story of Santa Claus is extremely well-known. A plump man in a round suit who jumps down chimneys to deliver presents to kids on a sleigh headed by eight reindeer. There is a naughty or nice list and if you have been naughty, you are given a lump of coal. When tales of Santa first originated, children only received one gift because that was typically all the family could afford. In modern times with a little money leeway, kids are getting the latest iPhone, name-brand clothing, and expensive toys from "Santa." No one ever thinks about the families who are unable to afford extravagant presents and the child is left feeling like they did something wrong.

Christmas time is supposed to be the season of spending quality time with your dear ones and magic, why does everyone focus on receiving gifts or running around trying to find the perfect gift? It's a fun time spending money on presents for those you care about, but what if they don't like it? What if it's the wrong size? What if they ask for a receipt and you don't have it? People look at you with disgust if you buy someone a lame gift, but it's the reverse if you go above and beyond.

In the 2000 film "How the Grinch Stole Christmas," the titular character becomes frustrated with the Whos and their tendency to become easily bored with material things when that is what they idolize as Christmas. The Grinch steals everyone's Christmas presents, decorations, and food for the feast, he becomes confused when he hears the Whos still singing on Christmas day.

The Grinch ponders. "Maybe Christmas doesn't come from a store? Maybe Christmas means a little bit more." The Grinch and all of Whoville realize the true meaning of Christmas: family.

It's totally OK if you like receiving or giving presents. I'm not telling you to stop exchanging altogether. Opening Christmas presents is still one of my favorite things to do because I get to see my mom's face when she opens up the new New England Patriots merch I got her. I get to look forward to my new baby nephew's eyes widening with delight when he will tear into the wrapping paper. I'm just here to remind you of the true meaning of Christmas and to hug your dear ones a tad closer this year. Laugh at the dinner table, smile from old memories, cry from sad times.