Christmas Seen Through The Eyes Of Charlie Brown

Leave it to Charlie and Linus to see through the consumerism and comercialism of Christmas.

91
Bustle.com

On December 9, 1965, CBS Network aired a short, animated film that ended up having an impact lasting long after its original days. A Charlie Brown Christmas written by Charles Shultz and produced by Lee Mendleson was just the beginning of the well-loved comic strip coming to life on the moving walls of American homes.

But why does this specific Christmas feature continue to be so loved? Is it because it is filled with our parent's childhood favorites? Is it because Linus will forever be one of the most adorable characters?

I'm not sure if we could ever pin point one exact reason, but I am sure that the story from 1965 explains the Christmas seasons I see over and over again.

"Christmas is coming, but I'm not happy. I don't feel the way I'm supposed to feel," says Charlie Brown in the opening scene of the film. Does anyone else feel like Charlie Brown during this time of year? We know how we are supposed to react to the joy of Christmas, but it seems like there can still be a disconnect between what we ought to feel and how we actually feel. I watch the world around me portray what Christmas should be like--the commercials on TV, the Instagram feeds, the happy faces plastered on posters while shopping--it's everywhere. What we do, what we buy, what Christmas parties we go to, what we receive for presents--all of it tries to take over and dictate how we should feel and act during this Christmas season.

Charlie Brown goes on a journey to figure out how to feel happy again during Christmas time. He finds his dog wrapped up in Christmas lights and consumerism, helps his little sister write a letter to Santa in hopes of getting exactly what she deserves--I mean wants, and even takes Lucy up on the suggestion to direct the Christmas pageant at school.

Throughout all of this, Charlie strives for a perfect pageant, and he can't seem to get it right. In a moment of desperation, he hopes that the perfect Christmas tree will fix the mood, and in turn, fix Christmas. After searching, Charlie and Linus find the one they think will work, but after bringing it back to the school, they find out the cast has turned on him.

After Charlie Brown has been ridiculed, mocked and the Christmas pageant has resorted to chaos, Charlie shouts "Isn't there anyone who knows what Christmas is all about?" Then something powerful happens. Linus, in a calm, patient voice, quotes a quote that is filled with such great hope:

And there were in the same country shepherds, abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them! And they were so afraid. And the angel said unto them, “Fear not! For, behold, I bring you tidings of great joy, which shall be to all my people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ, the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.” And suddenly, there was with the angel a multitude of the Heavenly Host praising God, and saying, “Glory to God in the Highest, and on Earth peace, and good will toward men.

A Savior, which his Christ, the Lord.

Do you really know why baby Jesus is celebrated? Do you really know why he came?

He came to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives, to save the world. He did not come to condemn, or to give a list of do's and don'ts. He came to serve, to love, to save.

Please, read that paragraph again.

I can't think of better news than what I just read up above. In a world where broken hearts, captivity, condemnation and unrealistic expectations sometimes seems to take over, I have to cling to good news like this.

Jesus was born to live a perfect life we could not live. He was born to die a death in place of one we deserve. He was born in order to give us freedom from bondage. And he wasn't just born to theoretically accomplish these things. He really did.

He really did live a perfect life.

He really did die an innocent death.

He really did conquer death by raising from the dead.

And He did all of this for you and me.

At the end of the film, the Peanuts crew sings Hark the Herald Angles Sing together out in the snow. Have you ever taken a second to really think about what the words of this carol mean?

God and sinner reconciled.

Light and life to all He brings.

Born that man no more may die.

Born to raise the sons of earth.

Born to give them second birth.

Are these words not filled with hope? They are! Jesus coming to this earth and accomplishing what he did means everything. It's what our life gets to be founded on if we choose so.

I really think Charlie Brown says it best: "I won't let all of this commercialism ruin my Christmas." How can I when I know I'm loved no matter what? Jesus came for me. He came to save me from the darkness in the world as well as in my heart.

Those few, short words that Linus speaks from the elementary school stage have a meaning that I know I forget every Christmas. But those few, short words are the reason why A Charlie Brown Christmas will never get old. They are words I have to remember. They have to be at the forefront of my mind as the Christmas season tries to take over what the true meaning is.

Whatever you are feeling or experiencing this Christmas season, know that the words of Linus ring true. A Savior was born and saved our world. It's what our joy is founded in, and it is unshakable. This makes A Charlie Brown Christmas timeless.

And it's timeless because the story of Jesus is timeless.