Yes I Am A Christian, No I Am Not Perfect

My own personal rant on some difficulties that come with being a Christian in college.

478
Behavioral Heath of Palm Beach

I could tell you that I grew up a perfect Christian my entire life. I could tell you that I’ve always gone to church every Sunday with my family, just like every other child growing up in Catholicism. I could tell you that I’ve whole heartedly believed in what the church says--with zero questions asked. I could tell you that I’ve faced zero hardships being a Christian, but that would be misleading.

The truth is I don’t think I ever fully understood what it meant to say, “Yes, I am a Christian,” until I reached my sophomore year of college.

Of course, I went to church off and on throughout my years but I had always let others points of views make me feel less worthy and less Christian.

For years I let the world tell me that if I was going to prance around and tell everyone that I was proud to be a Christian, that I had to be perfect. I mean Christians don’t make mistakes, right?

Christian people agree with everything the church does. Christian people hate gays. Christian people this, Christian people that, etc.

I let the mainstream idea that came along with me calling myself a “Christian,” stop me from doing so, simply because I didn’t like the confrontation that came with it.

“Oh, you’re a Christian, huh? So then you must believe this.”

“You call yourself a Christian? In college? Then why do you do this?”

My answer to these questions and all future questions asked will always be, “yes, I am a Christian, and no I’m not perfect.”

I think it’s difficult for us Christians to claim this title, without facing the judgments of others. Mainstream society has us believing that we can’t say we are Christians unless we are perfect. Or, saying we are Christian puts in a place where like I said before, people may put us in a category that all Christians believe in certain things.

Let me just say a couple of things to all of you who don’t understand. There is a lot more to saying you are a Christian than what meets the eye.

Yes, I believe in Jesus as my savior. I go to church when I can. I read the bible when I can. I try to be a good person--no, I don’t always make the right choices. No, I don’t discriminate against being gay or anything else related to that matter- as I believe these are personal beliefs that we take on as people- not necessarily as Christians. Don’t ask me how I feel about abortions because I’m not sure what the “right” answer is. I think there are things in this world that are between you and God alone and ultimately he is the only one who knows.

No, I am not trying to judge you. If I am judging you for anything, then I am judging myself as well.

Don’t ask me why I've made certain mistakes if I am a Christian. Don’t ask me why it’s hard for me to forgive those who hurt me. Don’t ask me why I like to go out.

We make mistakes as people. Christians are normal people, making mistakes just like everyone else. Those who claim to be a Christian are expected to be held on this pedestal, never doing things wrong in the path. Am I trying to be a better person? Of course. Do I fail? Sometimes.

There is the opposite as well.

There are people that go around filled with hate I’ve seen it on my own campus. People claiming themselves as Christians at the stallions--shaming everyone walking by--telling them they’ll go to hell.

I am not this person. I do not want to be affiliated with this type of person. I should be able to say, yes I am a Christian without being thrown into the infrequent definition that those who are Christians hate those who do this or do that.

I will continue to make mistakes and wrong choices--what college student doesn't? What person doesn't? I'm still my own person. Don't put me in a certain category when there is so much more that it entails. I am a Christian, who is not, nor will ever be society's definition of "perfect."