How to Actually Find Joy in Your Life

Choosing Joy Is A Lot More Than Just An Instagram Bio

Stop seeking joy and start seeking Christ, the source of true joy and love and peace and whatever else you need today.

178
Courtney Chapman

"Choose joy." "Do what makes you happy." "Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life."

We see these quotes everywhere. We hear them all the time. We put them on our walls, as our phone backgrounds and make them our personal life mottos.

We can all agree that happiness is something that we want.

We are constantly seeking contentment and happiness in everything and everyone. We think we can make ourselves happy, that we know best, and we are the very best judges of the best things for us. I know this is how I tend to operate, and maybe how you operate too.

Philippians is often quoted when talking about joy. In chapter 3 of Philippians, Paul talks about having "confidence in the flesh," which just means to put your worth, trust and identity in your own strength and abilities.

Now we all know Paul. And Paul knows Paul too. He boasts that,

"If anyone else thinks he has reason for confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the law, a Pharisee"
Philippians 3:4-5

It's clear what Paul's doing here – he's listing off his highlight reel and filling up his resume with all of the things the world and our human flesh would consider to be "good enough". What are your reasons for having confidence in the flesh? Maybe it's being a member of the right group or organization, or in dating that guy or girl, or doing or saying the right things so that maybe then you'll feel accepted and loved and valued.

Think about it. We don't just put our worth and stock in these things for the fun of it. We do it because way down deep, we're seeking something more – joy. We've already agreed we all want to have joy and happiness in our lives, and all too often we try to find that joy for our souls in the confidences of our flesh.

But that's not what Paul does.

"But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I might gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ" Philippians 3:7-9

These words are powerful and completely contrary to a world that tells you that joy is found in comfort and in chasing your own personal happiness. Paul is declaring that everything, all of his titles and his gains and his reputation, is literally garbage compared to even knowing Jesus Christ.

I know this seems a little dark and gloomy for writing that is supposed to be on joy, but that is because joy is not just for sunny, perfect days. The world is broken and dark and gloomy, and sometimes it feels like there is absolutely no reason to be happy. I share this passage in Philippians with you because I want it to meet you where you're at. You might be so far from happiness that you don't even remember what it feels like anymore. You might be seeking it in empty places and don't understand why you can never seem to get filled up.

I have good news for you though, and it may seem like not enough and impossible to believe in light of your circumstances, but please hear it today.

All your joy and your peace and your enoughness, and whatever else you're seeking today, can be found in Jesus.

"Though the fig tree should not blossom,
nor be fruit on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail
and the fields yield no food,
the flock be cut off from the fold
and there be no herd in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord;
I will take joy in the God of my salvation" Habakkuk 3:17-19

To know Christ is to know a joy like no other. Like I said before, this joy that comes from the Lord isn't just for the good days. It's for days and situations that seem too dire and desperate to have even an ounce of happiness. The reason Paul can spend the majority of Philippians, and so many other places in the Bible, declaring joy in the midst of prison and persecution, is because he sought Jesus and only Jesus as the whole source of his joy.

Yet, I will rejoice in the Lord.

I don't know what your "yet" is, but you can fill in the blank. Seeking joy may seem like an impossible task for you, and seeking it in Christ tends to be much easier said than done, but I think of 1 Peter 1:8:

"Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory"

Stop seeking the things the world says will make you happy because we both know they won't get you anywhere.

Stop putting joy in your Instagram bio and choosing to live your life the same way. Stop believing the lie that joy is unattainable for you in your current situation. The Bible promises there is an inexpressible joy to be found in Christ in any and every situation.

God wants to be the source of your joy and so much more today. Don't seek joy, seek Him, and you will find a joy like no other along the way.