Child Like Imagination Is The Key To becoming More Grounded

Your Child-Like Imagination Is The Key To Becoming More Grounded

Returning to the imagination and sense of wonder you had when you were younger just might be what you are missing to self actualize and follow your aspirations.

49
By Madyson Bryan

Think back to when you were 5. Think of your younger self and what your interests, dreams, and ambitions at the time were. What were your goals and dreams? Who did you want to be "when you grew up"?

I remember wanting to be any and everything ranging from a doctor to an artist, a zookeeper to a restaurant owner, a professional soccer player to an astronaut. I remember dreaming of traveling the world with ease, the humble of experiencing everything that I could.

We all used to dream big- like really big. There was never a limit that could deter us from what we wanted to do. There was never doubt placed in our minds that we would not be good enough to do our chosen and seemingly ever-changing dreams.

I vividly remember the feeling of absolute freedom and possibility I had as a child and believing that anything I wanted was at my fingertips.

Somewhere along the way, I lost that, however, and I presume that some of you might have too. I was burdened by the facts- of reality, of realizing that I was certainly not the best at everything, and by self-doubt. I became pessimistic often and didn't trust myself.

I felt that I had no autonomy and control over my future and that I had dreams that were too far out of reach- that I wouldn't find a stable and sustaining job after college, and that I wouldn't be able to achieve all that I had wanted.

We cannot fall to the current standard of not following your wildest dreams. One should not second guess themselves, but trust their gut instincts and allow it to lead them to where they need to be.

We are taught to always be practical and to play safe, and while most of that is simply cautionary for our security, living starts when you are no longer in that safe zone.

Returning to your 5-year-old self can help you rekindle and discover again what it is that ignites your passion, what excites you, and what gives you your true purpose. Throwing caution to the wind and going after your dreams is what is going to get you to the you you've always been searching and hoping for.

Ignore the doubters, the naysayers, and the skeptics. Trust your magic and have faith leaping into the unknown- your younger (and inner) self will be more than glad that you did.