10 Reasons Chihuahuas Are Underrated, It's Time They Get Some More Love

I am a proud owner of a little white and tan Chihuahua. My family and I have had her for around 13 years. Not everybody thinks she’s the cutest or the nicest dog around, but I wholeheartedly disagree. People have a preconceived notion of Chihuahuas, and that would be that their little, annoying, yappy dogs. But from my experience, that is not the case. Here are many reasons why Chihuahuas are a great addition to the family.

1. They can get along with other dogs

I truly believe that opposites attract in the dog world. My other dog was a large labradoodle and my little Chihuahua got along right with her. They were two peas in a pod. My Chihuahua thought she was big and tough just like her lab/poodle mix sister.

2. They love to cuddle with you

I'm pretty sure my Chihuahua looks forward to all the naps she can take with my family in one day. She's someone I can count on to chill out on the couch with or take a nap in the middle of the day with me.

3. You can bring them anywhere

Coffee runs? She's in the passenger seat with me. Quick jog? She's happy to join. Even when my mom visits me at college, guess who's waiting for me in the car.

4. Maintenance is pretty low

Chihuahuas do shed a little bit, but in no way, does it make a large impact in your household. Nothing a quick lint roll can't fix. Also, some pet owners feel the need to take their dogs to the vet to get their nails trimmed. With Chihuahuas, their nails are super easy to safely cut at home with a simple dog nail clipper you can buy at any pet store.

5. They have short, tiny legs

This means they don't need to go on frequent long walks throughout the day. A little exercise is all they need. If you have a backyard, their tiny legs can work up a sweat there. You should also spoil them with walks and playtime because they love that too, even if it's for a brief period of time.

6. They are small but mighty

Chihuahuas will defend you the minute they sense a threat. I find that pretty flattering. They puff their chest out and bark at the perceived threat because they love you and would never want anything bad to happen to you.

7. They love the sun

Be careful not to overheat your little dog, but chihuahuas appreciate sunbathing just as much as some humans do. Like I said earlier, Chihuahuas love napping, but just watch them on a sunny day lounging on your back porch catching some rays. You can join your little Chihuahua and spend the day in the sun together.

8. They have a huge heart

Their love for you is so strong. With a chihuahua in the household, you can feel how much your dog loves you. They may get annoyed with you sometimes, but at the end of the day, they just want to be in your presence and "protect" you.

9. They are adorably cute

This one's self-explanatory.

10. They have a cool historical background

Okay, Chihuahuas are basically royalty. They originate from Mexico and can be found represented in pyramids and other historical grounds of ancient civilizations. They even have a city in Mexico named after their breed. I don't know about you, but I never heard of a city called golden retriever, pug, or beagle, just saying.