cheer yourselves on

cheer yourselves on

Things have been hard, but we don't have to make them even harder.

9
cheer yourselves on

From my Intro to Ecology and Evolution lecture, I understand that humans developed bipedalism, the ability to walk on two feet/legs, in order to survive; the point was that walking on two legs freed up two other limbs and appendages to gather food and hunt in order to beat the competition. Today, things are getting harder and harder. So much negativity and issues are rising in our world and many people may feel trapped and lost. Times are becoming more and more confusing.

Now, I bet you're probably wondering why I brought up my ecology class in the first place. Well, of course we still walk on two legs and we most definitely use them to our advantage. But, what's the relation to today's news and events? We have the ability to take a few steps back and look at what is truly going on and make sure we go forward in the right direction.

Things have been hard, but we don't have to make them even harder for ourselves. With so much going on in the world, I know that I have not been the most focused. I find myself lost and daydreaming, thinking about the negatives and overlooking the positives. But, thanks to my boyfriend and a little journaling, I've been able to think about the different things in my life. I've been able to take those steps, however big or small, and look at what I did or what is going on. I've learned to talk and think through things in order to figure out the next best step to help myself.

Its something so simple that so many people, including myself, don't even think about skipping over it and trying to dive in head first. But, if you're not prepared, then things have the potential to go wrong and then what? Sometimes we find ourselves making things harder when there are easier, simpler ways to go about things.

I have the tendency to do that. To overthink and overanalyze. To criticize myself harshly without needing to. At this point I do it so often that its a part of me that comes so naturally. As much of an optimist as I can be, there are certain times in my life where I can't help but think of what could go wrong; I think of the toughest scenarios and the idea that I'm almost certainly going to fail. This happens with school and in my personal relationships because I begin to doubt myself. It is my doubt and lack of confidence in myself and my abilities that hinders me from making any progress. I struggle to let go of certain things, relevant or not, and that creates blocks in my mind.

But, thinking about taking the step back from a situation or an event truly has helped me. Even at the very beginning of quarantine, I found myself becoming easily overwhelmed by things. Stepping back from it all, giving myself that chance to clear my head and return to it again, has helped open my eyes to what I can do moving forward.

I think everyone is in the process of taking this step back. With the murder of George Floyd, the coming rise in virus cases as states open back up, and elections, people are looking to see what they should do. What are their next steps?

Reflection is not only helpful, but maybe even necessary. It is in my opinion (that others definitely do not have to share) that reflecting on your actions gives you the mindset to figure out your best course of action. For me, nothing good has come from diving head first into things. But, that isn't to say that everyone is the same. Everyone's paths are different and intertwined in their own ways. It is up to use to determine what we want to do and the meaning we want to give to our lives.

Taking those steps backwards gives you the advantage of being able to look over everything and absolutely anything. It allows you to determine how you want to beat your own competition and demons, whether they be physical, mental or emotional.

So, I wish you luck moving forward as everyone goes through their days with so much uncertainty. I hope that during these times you find some peace within yourself and come closer to the right direction down whatever path you choose.

With love,

Arielle :)