Check Out Lola Bunny's New Look

Check Out Lola Bunny's New Look

She’s been desexualized.

15
Check Out Lola Bunny's New Look

With the announcement of Space Jam: A New Legacy, everyone is talking about Lola Bunny.

Her iconic crop top and short-shorts look from the 1996 movie has been changed to longer shorts and a basketball jersey. Once known as "the heartthrob of the hoops", the internet has mixed views about Lola's new appearance.

The reason for her new look was to make her more family-friendly. According to movieweb, Director Malcolm D. Lee explained Lola's new outfit in an interview with Entertainment Weekly.

"Lola was very sexualized, like Betty Boop mixed with Jessica Rabbit," he told Entertainment Weekly. "Lola was not politically correct…. This is a kids' movie, why is she in a crop top? It just felt unnecessary, but at the same time there's a long history of that in cartoons."

Although I liked Lola's original outfit, I think Lee makes a good point. There is truly no good reason for a character in a kid's movie to be sexualized the way Lola was. Not only is it unnecessary, but it promotes an unobtainable body image for young girls. Even though Lola is a cartoon bunny, young girls can't help but take after their favorite characters.

When asking my roommates their opinions of Lola's new look, they immediately said that she's not hot anymore.

"I like it for her, I don't like it for me."

Regardless of Lola's new appearance, I think Space Jam: A New Legacy is something to look forward to. Releasing on July 16, 2021, it will be a nice dose of nostalgia for those who grew up with the original movie.

What do you think of Lola's new look?