Chaos And Unrest At U.S.-Mexico Border

Chaos And Unrest At U.S.-Mexico Border

Rising tensions among a divided nation.

20

Individuals migrate to the United States in search of something better, in search of the "American Dream." Many are fortunate enough to achieve this dream, but not many are so lucky. Immigration is as relevant today as it was hundreds of years ago. It has become the most debated topic among both political parties. President Donald Trump has asserted multiple times his intentions towards immigration enforcement: securing the nations southern border and roundup of undocumented immigrants in the country.

When a large migrant caravan was reported to make its way towards the United States in October, Trump expressed his feelings on social media:

"Anybody entering the United States illegally will be arrested and detained, prior to being sent back to their country!" President Trump tweeted on October 16, 2018.

On Sunday, November 25, more than 7,000 migrants from Central America arrived at the San Isidro Land Port of Entry between Tijuana and San Diego. Migrants are fleeing persecution, poverty, and violence in their home countries of Honduras, Guatemala, and El Salvador. According to AP News, U.S. officials are processing fewer than 100 asylum claims a day. It would take months to processes the claims of the recent caravan. Desperate for a better life, migrants began protesting the pace of the asylum process. A peaceful march soon turned into violence, resulting in U.S. agents firing tear gas at migrants attempting to cross into the U.S. from Tijuana, Mexico.

The trek from Central America to the border covered more than 2,500 miles. Central Americans seeking protection are among the people apprehended at the U.S.-Mexico border, most being children and families. Hoping to settle in the U.S., their aspirations are diminished by U.S. officials who have warned that if anyone is found entering the country illegally, they will be arrested and deported.

Meanwhile, in the United States, immigration is an ongoing debate among the political parties. According to Vox Senior Reporter Dara Lind, under President Trump, immigration arrests are spiking back to 2014 levels. Nevermind the fact that 2014, was an extremely dangerous and aggressive period regarding immigration enforcement. Lind reports, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) arrested 21,362 immigrants- including 5,441 with no criminal record. Numbers that keep rising by the day.

"If you don't want America to be overrun by masses of illegal aliens and giant caravans, you'd better vote Republican," President Donald Trump told a crowd during a campaign rally on November 2.

The issue of immigration brings chaos and unrest among the nation. Citizens question the humanity of U.S. agent methods at the U.S.-Mexico border. Children are being affected, traumatized physically and mentally. Dreams are trampled, and reality slaps one in the face, some immigration policies only leave devastation in its wake. If individuals aren't made aware of the growing issue and take action, then they should brace themselves for the dark days to come.