Be The Change

Be The Change

Reshaping Society One Person At A Time

19
Be The Change
https://www.ruthcheesley.co.uk/blog/why-is-community-important-in-today-s-society

Most people I know say they are unhappy and disgusted with American society. People are unhappy with the dating scene, with young parents and the way they fail to pay attention to their children, and the lack of discipline being given. People are disgusted with how everyone is addicted to their technological devices, lack of manners, and the way people treat others. The list could go on forever. I just have one thing to say to everyone out there complaining: Who the hell do you think makes up "society?" We are society, and until you start actively doing something to make a positive change, you are part of the problem.

I see the struggles people have with the way things are right now. I'm not entirely happy with the current state society is in, either. However, I'm not afraid to be different than everyone else. If I see something I'm not happy with, I make a conscious effort to not be like the trait I'm bothered by. I'm just one person, but if everyone started to be less concerned with being popular and more concerned about making a difference, we could change the world.

For example: technology. I definitely use Facebook. I don't share five posts an hour like some of my friends do, I use it to connect with others. It's nice to be able to see what my friends in other states and other countries are up to.

I also only use my phone when it's appropriate. When I am at work, I don't touch my phone. When I'm having a meal with someone, I don't touch my phone. When I'm having a conversation with someone, I'm not texting someone else or browsing Twitter. In addition, I designate times during the day where I put my phone away and read (an actual book…) or go for a run, or do something outdoors. Not only does doing that help me connect with nature and the world around me, but I'm a better friend because of it. No one wants to have a meaningful conversation with you when you're consecutively reading up on the latest Kardashian news. Everyone is sick of people being on their phones all of the time, but we are everyone. Be different than the rest. Set the example. If you're not happy, do something about it!

People are mean. There is no better way to put it. People are self-centered and it's made them nasty-disrespectful people. Let me differentiate: I have a mean side. If anyone hurts someone I care about, I can become a very mean person very quickly. And I think this is a positive quality. People need to be able to stick up for those they care about. However, don't just take out your anger with the world on the first person you come across. I'm sorry the worker at McDonald's forgot to put pickle on your burger, but there are people out there who haven't had a meal in days. Try to think about that the next time you scream at the person in the drive-through window for messing up. I'm sorry you have a lot of homework. There are girls in Africa who wish more than anything they could have the privilege of receiving an education. Try to be thankful for the opportunity you have been given instead of writing the professor a nasty email about how overwhelmed you are. I could provide so many more examples, but I think you get the point. Everyone has read the quote, "be the change you wish to see in the world." We should start living like we can make a difference, because we can.

I firmly believe all evil stems from being self-centered. Stop only caring about yourself and your own problems. You are not the only person who exists. Other people out there are struggling and suffering. That doesn't make your own struggles less important, but we need to be aware that we are all in this life together. You never know what someone is going through. We can change society. We can turn it around with kindness. The next time you complain about the state society is in, think about what you're doing to make it better.