I changed my career path after receiving my diploma.
Health Wellness

I changed My Career Path at 23, So What?

I wanted something more. I knew there was something more.

253

I am 23 years old and I hold a Bachelor's degree that is useless to me at this very moment.

So, here I am, 2 years after receiving that diploma, typing this on a couch on a random Tuesday afternoon.

Why am I not at work like most kids my age? Why am I not a success story for my major or my destined career path?

I'll tell you why not, because here's the thing. I'm tired of being asked.

Obviously, I used to want that success story. I wanted a career that made a name for myself. I wanted to be the girl that made it big. I was supposed to be that girl. Now, here I am, doing little to nothing with my life, and no one can seem to understand it.

I'm not saying I understand it completely either, but I'll do my best to let you know why I changed my mind.

After countless internships and working what everyone assumed to be my dream job for a year, I felt a strange tug at my heart. There's really no other explanation for it other than I knew it wasn't where I was meant to be.

I never felt like I was truly impacting this world in the way I was supposed to. I wanted something more. I knew there was something more.

So, when I took a leap of faith and moved back home, trying to find my next adventure, I never even imagined I'd be where I am today.

No, that doesn't mean I'm even anywhere close to where I want to be. But hey, it's a start.

It's a baby step filled with faith. A sense of direction for my destined future.

What I thought I wanted as my change, turned out to be a completely different outcome. Every little rejection led me to a tiny success within a field I used to dream of working. I never thought it was possible to return to that field, but here I am and I just KNOW it's where I need and want to be.

Maybe I won't be famous, or make it big, but I have a drive and a yearning to help someone else get there.

I realized this at a young age, and although I'm kicking myself for not realizing it earlier (preferably before walking out with a diploma in thousands of dollars of debt), but everything happens for a reason in a destined timing.

I'm glad I changed my mind at 23. I'm glad I have a strong faith to stand by my decision. I'm glad I feel a peace and happiness about what I want to do next.

Maybe you feel stuck, or like it's too late to change your mind.

Well my friend, I'm here to encourage you that it's not.

Everyone will have something to say about it. That's a given. Obviously everyone around you knows what's best for you- but you don't, right?

Ignore them.

This is YOUR life. Make someone of yourself that you're proud of. At the end of the day, can you say this is who you want to be? This is what you have to contribute to life? This is it?

If it is, great! Stay. Embrace it.

If it's not? Take that leap of faith & go after what you feel will benefit you.

AND, (this is kind of hypocritical, but whatever) don't explain yourself. You don't have to. Would you like to know why? Because this is YOUR life. Not theirs.

I changed my career path at 23- and I do not regret one piece of it.