Celebrity Plea Deals Encourage Crime

Celebrity Plea Deals Encourage Crime

Celebrities Should Be Reliant Roll Models

1006
Celebrity Plea Deals Encourage Crime
LexiHanna

As we grow we tend to look up to people we consider role models, idols, and mentors. We adopt their mannerisms and take some form of their lifestyle without even realizing it as a result of adoration. These role models when we are developing are extremely important to our growth and leave a significant lasting effect later in life. As we get older and form personal values and insights, those lifestyles and mannerisms we previously admired take full effect. How our role models act, appear, and publicize themselves is extremely important, especially in the society we live in today in which we know and see more of not only the lives they choose to share but their personal circumstances as well.

Celebrities are easily the most common role models for kids of all ages to admire. They should be setting good examples for their growing fans. Whether a sports star, musician, author or actor, they are the most influential and widely idolized members of society- not even just in the eyes of growing adolescents but adults as well. This is an undisputed fact; seen a few years ago when young girls copied Kylie Jenner’s lip-enhancing cup idea, ultimately hurting themselves. Kylie of course grew up and has put her ability to better use. Unfortunately, we see a lot more celebrities leaving negative impacts on the minds of young teens by being careless, selfish, and unsavory. We have celebrities like Danielle Bregoli- famous for being an out-of-control, disrespectful loud mouth. This girl actually makes money and has fans for being a terrible child and abusing her mother. Recently on the market and undoubtedly a result of the fame upbringing of Danielle is a girl going by the name of Lil Tay- marketing herself as a “nine year old thug, better than all ya’ll haters.” She is seen fighting, arguing and flaunting ridiculous amounts of cash on social media regularly and without supervision. These girls are actually famous, making a name for themselves, and gaining a fanbase. All they demonstrate is bad behavior and disrespect, and we are honoring and idolizing them.

The uprise of these self-labeled female thugs is not even close to as negatively impacting as the celebrities who have been around and have steady fanbases advertising destructive lifestyles. As a society we have a very bad habit of supporting celebrities who have committed repulsive crimes leading to their early-release or the dropping of the entire charge. Charlie Sheen is one of the most notable; serving a total of 60 days as a result of plea deals after being charged for several drug crimes and the abuse of his wife and daughter. Mike Tyson has been charged with DUIs, drug abuse, and rape and only spent a single year for all of these crimes thanks to plea deals. Brock Turner was let off easy after raping a woman because he “had a promising future.”

Most prominently might be musicians and artists. Regularly advertising drug use, violence and mistreatment of women and breaking laws, musicians easily have the most adverse effect on fans and their forming values. Chris Brown has a never-ending fan base despite proof of domestic abuse- having only served probation for the crime. Tekashi 6ix9ine has been charged with more than one sexual abuse crime- including with a minor, yet has not been punished, has had his court date delayed, and still makes music, performs on stage and has a plethora of fans. Not only that but musicians are famous for encouraging drug use, sexualizing women and unnecessary violence in their songs. The Weeknd has multiple songs highlighting cocaine use: “High For This” and “Party Monster” to name a few. Shaggy’s famous “It Wasn’t Me” exhibits an enjoyable beat that makes you want to bop to his excuse for cheating on his girl. Robin Thicke’s “Blurred Lines” encourages and accepts the fact that this woman’s “no” is being taken as a “yes,” anyways. We worship these artists who encourage drug use, infidelity and abuse. We make them famous, despite having been actually charged with crimes.

Music in itself is ultimately harmless; a way to express yourself, your thoughts, and even regrets. It is upon the listener to take action and actually commit crimes. Letting celebrities get out of charges and serve minimal punishment for crimes is where we go wrong. Letting Chris Brown keep his career and supporting him despite domestic abuse lets fans know that domestic abuse is acceptable. Letting tekashi 6ix9ine perform without a court date only further solidifies the mindset that rape is okay. Lessening celebrity punishment for horrific crimes does not help anything. Fan bases and unknown criminals are only fueled to commit crime when their idols are let go and supported despite horrendous crimes.