We look to celebrities for many things fashion, diet, vacation spots and even relationship goals. We love to see our favorite actors, musicians, and entertainers find love in their elite circle. As onlookers, we become emotionally invested in their relationship as if it was our own. So when a break up makes news headlines it is a shot to the heart.
Here are eight celebrity breakups that maybe hurt us more than the celebs themselves.
1. Jennifer Aniston and Brad PittThey were the "It" couple. The relationship between the two seemed like a perfect match, with him even appearing on her show Friends to show his devotion. The end of the marriage came with rumors that Pitt and his Mr. and Mrs. Smith co-star Angelina Jolie were in love, which turned out to be true.
2. Anna Faris and Chris PrattAfter eight years of marriage, Chris and Anna told fans via social media they are calling it quits. "Anna and I are sad to announce we are legally separating," Pratt wrote in a joint statement shared on Facebook. "We tried hard for a long time, and we’re really disappointed.
"Our son has two parents who love him very much and for his sake, we want to keep this situation as private as possible moving forward,” he continued. “We still have the love for each other, will always cherish our time together and continue to have the deepest respect for one another.”
3. Jenna Dewan and Channing TatumAfter nearly nine years of marriage, Channing and Jenna confirmed in April 2018 that they "have lovingly chosen to separate as a couple." The pair met in 2006 on the set of Step Up, married in 2009, and welcomed daughter Everly in 2013. In a joint statement, the couple explained, "Absolutely nothing has changed about how much we love one another, but love is a beautiful adventure that is taking us on different paths for now. There are no secrets nor salacious events at the root of our decision — just two best-friends realizing it’s time to take some space and help each other life the most joyous, fulfilled lives as possible."
4. Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck
The pair is known for creating the first of many couple names, "Bennifer" was quite loved. They constantly flaunted their relationship status with Affleck appearing in Lopez’s video for “Jenny From the Block,” in which he kissed a bikini-clad Lopez and they were pursued by paparazzi. After two film flops, Gigli and Jersey Girl, their relationship ran its course and they ended their engagement.
5. Angelina Jolie and Brad PittAfter their rocky and gossip-fueled start with Mr. and Mrs. Smith Angelina and Brad made quite a life together, sharing 6 children together- Maddox, Zahara, Pax, Shiloh, Vivienne, and Knox. After two years of marriage and more than a decade together, Angelina and Brad split in September 2016. Angelina was the one to file for divorce, citing irreconcilable differences.
6. Selena Gomez and Justin BieberJelena’s romance has been a roller coaster for so long, it’s hard to keep track. The pair split dramatically in 2012 but were seen together on and off for the next two years. Everyone thought it was over with each party moving on, Justin to model Haley Baldwin and Selena to singer The Weeknd. Until, the pair rekindled the flame in early 2018, Selena even attending Justin's father's wedding. It is still unclear if this time they will last.
7. Brittany Spears and Justin TimberlakeThey were America’s sweethearts, both children stars on the Mickey Mouse Club. And no one can forget their all denim runway outfits so it was safe to say the all-star couple broke the hearts of young fans. Timberlake seemingly could not get over the breakup, casting a lookalike in the music video for his hit “Cry Me a River,” and many of his lyrics in the following years would suggest that Spears cheated on him. Meanwhile, Spears released the ballad “Every time,” allegedly about the split.
8. Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise
Beginning as a couch-jumping profession of love ended as one of the more intriguing Hollywood divorces of recent years. It was shocking, yes, but also rumors that Holmes had used burner phones and hired multiple lawyers, as well as the mystery of Scientology and its hold on Cruise, made the whole thing feel like a caper. The settlement was quick and Holmes got custody of their daughter, Suri. The couple named "Tomcat" was no more.