3 Celebrities That Don't Belong In The #MeToo Movement

Celebrities come with their flaws as well and need to be called out for past mistakes.

576
Instagram

I think we can all agree that the #MeToo movement is is a double-edged sword. On one hand, it’s amazing that people feel encouraged by others to come out and share their sexual abuse stories and are welcomed with nothing but love and support. But on the other hand, it’s sad that this movement has to exist because people are so scared about sharing their stories and the repercussions that follow.

We all wish we lived in a world where there were no qualms about sharing your personal stories. But sadly, we don’t.

However, the hypocrisy in the #MeToo movement is rampant.

I fully support victims coming out with their stories and being surrounded by support, but I don’t support the pretenders who say they support these women and this movement, but their actions speak anything but. These people who continue to rally their support for their movement have shown no respect for the victims in the past and need to be called out for their mistakes if we are to move forward as a united movement.

I’m not saying these celebrities shouldn’t be allowed to be included in this movement; instead, I’m saying that these celebrities need to do some explaining so that we can move forward as a united front.

The #MeToo movement is all-inclusive, of course. But when you have people in the movement that didn’t seem like they cared much for sexual abuse victims before, it dilutes the movement and reduces its power. Here are three celebrities whose actions don’t necessarily agree with the movement they choose to align themselves with today.

1. Meryl Streep

In several instances, Meryl Streep has defended Roman Polanski, a famous film director, who was accused and arrested of raping and drugging a 14-year-old girl and actually pleaded guilty to it as well. Just look at the videos here to see Streep defending a known child rapist and her applauding Polanski as he receives an award when word was already out that he was a known sexual abuser.

2. Lena Dunham

Lena Dunham comes with a slew of other problems; saying statements like "she wished she had an abortion" and doing weird things to her sister when she was young. Even feminists alike agree that she does not advance the movement at all, but worsens others perception of it. However, one thing in particular trumps all. Dunham is supposedly an ardent defender of sexual assault and rape victims and a self-proclaimed feminist.However, when Aurora Perrineau, an actress, accused "Girls" writer, Murray Miller, of sexual assaulting her, Dunham quickly denied Perrineau's claim. Maybe it was because Miller was a writer for "Girls," a show Dunham stars in? In her tweet, she said at the end, "While our first instinct is to listen to every woman's story, our insider knowledge of Murray's situation makes us confident that sadly this accusation is one of the three percent of assault cases that are misreported every year.It is a true shame to add to that number, as outside of Hollywood women still struggle to be believed. We stand by Murray and this is all we'll be saying about this issue." So, according to Lena, rape victims don't lie about rape except when the victim accuses a friend of yours? And then it's a fake reporting. The #MeToo movement is all about supporting victims and their stories, but it's only convenient for you when your friend isn't being accused, right.

3. Oprah Winfrey

While her speech at the Golden Globes was excellent, Oprah has some controversial history with Harvey Weinstein. We now know that Weinstein was known among the Hollywood society for years as a sexual predator. But then what explains this constant amorous relationship between Weinstein and Winfrey?

What explains the dozens and dozens of photos of Winfrey hanging out with Weinstein in photos where she doesn't look forced at all in his company, but happy? What explains this photo of Oprah kissing Weinstein? She has not disavowed Weinstein yet but ardently stands in the #MeToo movement like she wasn't buddies with Weinstein for years.

Who knows, there could be more pretenders in the midst. These are just a few with very obvious histories that don't align with the goals of the #MeToo movement. This isn't to throw around gossip and drama, but to make people understand that these celebrities that we hold near and dear to our hearts aren't perfect.

They are filled with flaws just like any other human and deserve to be called out when they make a mistake, especially if they are representing a crucial movement.