Celebrating 100 Years Of The National Park Service

Why we should all be celebrating 100 years of our National Parks.

7
Lizzie Tesch

At a time when the nightly news is filled with Presidential debates and the continuing conflict overseas, not to mention the whole Ryan Lochte Olympic scandal, we're allowing arguably one of the most important milestones in our nation's history to pass us by without much of a second thought. I'm a huge fan of America's national parks, and the realization that August 25, 2016, marked the 100th birthday of the National Park Service only occurred to me when it popped up at the bottom of my Timehop.

Usually, when someone mentions our national parks, the spectacular scenic views of some of the largest and most famous parks—Yellowstone and Yosemite—come to mind. While these parks are indeed two of the most visited in the country, they only scratch the surface of over 400 national parks, monuments and historical sites currently protected and managed by the National Park Service.

The Park Service strives to preserve natural and cultural resources for future generations, but the legacy of this unique department reaches deep into our history. Yosemite National Park, which was at the heart of the movement to preserve natural wonders, was put under the protection of the state of California by President Abraham Lincoln during the Civil War, and in 1872, President Ulysses S. Grant created the first national park in America—and the world—when Yellowstone National Park was established in the territories of Montana and Wyoming.

The President perhaps most famous for investing in our country's national landscapes, however, was Theodore Roosevelt, who created five parks, 18 new monuments, four national game refuges, 51 bird sanctuaries and over 100 million acres of national forest during his time in office. When the National Park Service was officially created on August 25, 1916, by President Woodrow Wilson, 35 national parks and monuments, as well as those yet to be established, were put under the protection of the Department of the Interior, and in 1933, an Executive Order transferred 56 national monuments and military sites to the National Park Service, allowing the department to include areas of historic, as well as scenic and scientific, importance.

Today, more than 20,000 National Park Service employees care for over 84 million acres in 50 states, the District of Columbia, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, Saipan and The Virgin Islands, and the National Park Service has been encouraging visitors to explore some of the most beautiful and inspiring places through a campaign to "Find Your Park."

I was fortunate enough to explore several national parks this summer on a 10 day road trip from Wisconsin to Colorado. Prior to the trip, I had no idea that the United States is home to the tallest sand dunes in North America, which reach to over 750 feet above the floor of the San Luis Valley at Great Sand Dunes National Park. I had yet to learn about the unique ecosystem once found at Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument that perfectly preserved massive redwood trees, as well as insects and other organisms, and quite honestly, I had no idea how anyone would think a cliff dwelling, such as those found at Mesa Verde National Park, would be a great place to live. After all, how exactly do you get into the dwelling? It's on the side of a cliff!

I'm still searching for "my park," but my experiences taught me why we should be actively celebrating the 100th birthday of the National Park Service rather than allowing it to pass us by. These parks and monuments were protected so our generation might be able to experience the same feeling of awe and inspiration our ancestors had as they gazed down from what felt like the top of the world. We need to continue to protect and expand these parks so that future generations will be allowed the same opportunities, and it all starts with us.

You don't need to drop everything, jump in your car, and drive to the nearest National Park, but there are numerous opportunities for each of us to participate in the ongoing mission to preserve these natural and historic wonders. Whether it's through volunteering, a donation, working with your community to encourage the preservation of a local area, sharing your love of the parks through social media,] or just putting down Pokemon Go long enough to notice the beauty right before you. We can all make a difference and help the National Park Service continue to fulfill its mission for another century.

So what are you waiting for? Go out and find your park!