8 Things You Know To Be True If You Think Cats Rule And Dogs Drool

Let me start off by clearing up a misconception about us cat lovers; no, we do not hate dogs. I myself actually own both a dog and cat who I love dearly and would do anything for. However, just because I own both does not mean that I don't have a preference of one over the other.

It's kind of like when people say they don't have a favorite child. You do have a favorite child, you're just not going to say who it is because it would hurt the others feelings. I haven't written this to bash dogs or anger the dog lovers community because as I've said, I have a dog and love him very much.

Yet, that doesn't mean I prefer him to my feline companion. All I'm doing is simply giving the reasons as to why us cat lovers would rather snuggle up to our feline friends after a long, hard day.

1. Personal space boundaries

Dogs typically want to be in your lap and by your side 24/7 (such as the case with my dog; he's actually in my lap as I write this). With cats, when we're both done cuddling or playing, we tend to go off in opposite directions, but still remain in close proximity of each other. When my cat is done with physical affection, she still remains within eyeshot of me. I appreciate this since I don't always enjoy my dog right on top of at all times.

2. We're their favorite person.

It's no secret that cats choose one person for life. This makes us feel special because they chose us out of anyone else in the household. We feel special because it shows without words that they love us.

3. Low maintenance

Dogs take a lot more time and care than cats do. Dogs have to be taken out on walks, go outside to potty, schedule grooming, etc. Cats are very low maintenance in this regard. Other than the occasional nail trim, feeding, and changing the litter box, cats pretty much take care of themselves.

4. Low cost

Cats are cheaper to own and maintain than dogs are. Dog food, toys, bedding, and so on can get very expensive. Their adoption fees are also higher than cats are. I know that as long as I've owned both my pets, my dog outranks my cat in expenses.

5. Cats aren't actually as mean as you think.

Media has portrayed cats as evil, cold-hearted, and unaffectionate. There are some kitty's who fit this description, but there are also others who broke the media mold. My cat and my friend's cat, for example, have never hissed, bit, scratched or tried to hurt us. It is true however that they show most of their affection when no one is looking. I like the think that they have stage fright in front of an audience.

6. Kitty noises

I love kitty noises such as purring, tiny meows, and those quirky noises that they make when they're playing. Yes, I know that dogs also make cute noises but I simply prefer to listen to my cat's noises than my dog's.

7. Cats live longer than dogs.

They don't say cats have nine lives for nothing. When either of my pets passes away I'm going to be devastated, but I find some comfort in knowing that my cat will probably be around longer than my dog will. Once again, this is one of my personal reasons for my preference for cats over dogs.

8. Cats make great hosts.

When people come over, my dog is immediately at their side wanting and begging for attention. My cat, however, keeps to herself and only makes an occasional appearance. I've found that my dog and his boundless energy tends to get on my guests' nerves (even if they're a dog lover) whereas my cat, not so much.

Those were some of my personal reasons and some that I gathered from my cat loving friends, as to why we prefer cats over dogs. So I don't anger anyone I just want to state again that no, we do not hate dogs. We just prefer cats over dogs. So the next time you talk to a cat lover, remember that all of us love our fur babies and would do anything for them.