To The Cats I've Fallen For But Couldn't Adopt

I'm sorry I couldn't give you the home you deserve.
61

For years, my post-career goal has been to rescue/foster/adopt cats of all shapes, sizes, and situations. I want to give a loving home to as many cats as I can. Unfortunately, I'm at a point in my life where I can't. My boyfriend and I plan to adopt a cat in autumn, but it doesn't feel like enough.

Every time I visit a shelter or cat cafe, I fall in love with all of them. I feel a deep connection with cats, as insane as that sounds. The cats who end up in shelters need patience and understanding, similar to myself. I believe that this is where my connection to cats stems from. I share many traits with them: independence, a need for affection, sassiness, and a love for naps.

(This is not some weird confession about being a furry or otherkin. I'm simply a person who adores cats.)

To the cats who I have fallen for,

I'm sorry I couldn't adopt you. I wanted to, I promise. You became part of my family as soon as you rubbed your face against mine. My heart continues to expand to fit the love I develop for all of you. Even though I am unable to adopt you today, I will continue to think about you once we have parted ways. When I am swiping through the photos on my phone, the selfie I took with you will appear and the sadness will return.

I will hope that you found a warm and loving home. You are the ones who got away but are never forgotten. The short time we spent together is something I will cherish for a long time. Being able to meet you and get a taste of your personality is enough to get me through bad days. Animals are very healing for me. Thank you for being part of my recovery.

I want to meet and fall in love with as many cats as I am able to. I want to flood my Instagram feed with images of the cats I wish I could have. Whether they are in a shelter, a foster, or stray, they all deserve respect and love. If I'm walking or driving and I spot a cat on a windowsill, or in someone's yard, I will always become giddy with excitement. My day will have been made.

It may sound like an actual crazy person wrote this, but it's just coming from a place of passion. Many people hate cats, and I do not understand why. They're not dogs, and I think that's too difficult for some people to comprehend. By the way, I do love dogs just as much.