Cary Grant Movie Marathon

Cary Grant Movie Marathon

A list of some of my favorite Cary Grant films.

75
Cary Grant Movie Marathon
Town & Country

As a girl who was raised by my grandparents, I've became familiar with many older movies. My favorites include those with Cary Grant. He was easy on the eyes, he had a hard to pin down accent, and he appeared in some of the best movies ever made. Don't believe me? Check out:

1. "Suspicion" (1941)

"A shy young heiress marries a charming gentleman, and soon begins to suspect he is planning to murder her" (IMDb). C'mon, this is from the legendary Alfred Hitchcock! Romance and suspicion of murder, what more could you want?

2. "The Awful Truth" (1937)

"Unfounded suspicions lead a married couple to begin divorce proceedings, whereupon they start undermining each other's attempts to find new romance" (IMDb). Hilarious antics ensue in this charming movie - all in the name of love. This is an original romcom

3. "An Affair to Remember" (1957)

"A couple falls in love and agrees to meet in six months at the Empire State Building - but will it happen? " (IMDb). This is one of my all-time favorites. A true romance story for the ages.

4. "His Girl Friday" (1940)

"A newspaper editor uses every trick in the book to keep his ace reporter ex-wife from remarrying" (IMDb). This movie features a strong female character (Russell) who is a fast-talking, intelligent reporter that holds her own in a world run by men. Although this can be described as a romance, it is also a comedy and drama.

5. "The Philadelphia Story" (1940)

"When a rich woman's ex-husband and a tabloid-type reporter turn up just before her planned remarriage, she begins to learn the truth about herself" (IMDb). This movie not only stars Grant, but also Katherine Hepburn and James (Jimmy) Stewart - huge names! A romcom through and through, it is a great movie with a great cast.

6. "Arsenic and Old Lace" (1944)

"A drama critic learns on his wedding day that his beloved maiden aunts are homicidal maniacs, and that insanity runs in his family" (IMDb). Now if that synopsis doesn't pique your interest, I don't know what will. This is truly a comedy, crime, thriller if there ever was one.

7. "Charade" (1963)

"Romance and suspense ensue in Paris as a woman is pursued by several men who want a fortune her murdered husband had stolen. Who can she trust? " (IMDb). This time Grant stars opposite Audrey Hepburn, another strong female actor. This is a great film with a pretty good twist ending.

8. "To Catch a Thief" (1955)

"When a reformed jewel thief is suspected of returning to his former occupation, he must ferret out the real thief in order to prove his innocence" (IMDb). This is a classic Cary Grant movie, once again from Alfred Hitchcock. It also starred Grace Kelly before she became Princess of Monaco.

9. "Night and Day" (1946)

"The fictionalized biography of composer Cole Porter from his days at Yale in the 1910s through the height of his success to the 1940s " (IMDb). A film about the great Cole Porter, featuring his popular songs, with Cary Grant as the star.

10. "The Bishop's Wife" (1947)

"An angel in human form enters the life of a bishop in order to help him build a new cathedral and repair his fractured marriage" (IMDb). Grant plays a cheeky angel with good intentions in this charming film.

This list contains only 10 of the 76 films Cary Grant starred in. I have yet to see all of his movies, but these are just a few of my favorites. Although these movies are "old," they are just as good, if not better, than films today. I encourage you to give them a chance and explore films from all decades!

For more on Cary Grant, I suggest: "Cary Grant: A Biography" by Marc Eliot.

For more older movies, check to see if you get the TCM (Turner Classic Movies) channel or visit TCM.com.