Carpools can't drive themselves: Poetry on Odyssey

12 things I didn't know last year
1284

1.

I know this boy named Oliver

he makes art

last year his brother died

we had the same birthday

that is probably something that never gets easier

like talking to pretty girls

or telling the truth

but so much

worse.

2.

When we were little

and dressed up in costumes

we were anybody we wanted

except the parents

carpools can’t drive themselves

no matter how many times

you use your three wishes

for more wishes

somebody will tell you

it doesn’t work that way.

3.

My cousins are all older than me

but that didn’t stop them from being

the smaller person

on almost every occasion

I got stuck with the Buzz Lightyear costume

no matter what the game

or how many light years away

I was.

4.

Warm leather smells like the summer

I turned 9

only when it’s warm outside

and [it’s never really] cold out

does my heart reflect the weather

like the room on the back of a spoon,

or more like my eyes

in the mirror?

5.

Did the little boy inside of you

get out to play today?

Make sure he does tomorrow

give him the wooden bow and arrow

your dad made you

for Halloween that one year

when you were sick

and never ended up going out.

6.

When I can feel the drums

in my chest and echo

in my stomach

it probably isn’t quite loud enough

have you ever drowned something

without water?

It’s easier than you would think,

you just need to be

[louder].

7.

Most pain is temporary

that’s what people will tell you

you don’t have to listen to them

put your earbuds in

sometimes

you don’t even have to plug them in.

8.

Uniforms have too many different meanings

to make them comfortable

try them on like skin

that you get to choose

pick a good one

change it out

every seven years

or when you need to

do laundry.

9.

Anish Kapoor called

he wants his mirrors back

how many people do you see when you look

at yourself

sometimes it is hard to be all of them

at once

there was a time when you were nothing at all

and there will be a time

when you will be everything

again.

10.

Michelangelo why

have you robbed the hands of each other’s

touch? Why will they never feel

the fingers that you put

just out of reach

tell me how

do you sleep at night?

11.

I watched somebody fly

too close to the sun once

luckily the air is made of hope

clouds are someone’s dreams

and the ground is made of love

so he only broke his left arm

and his idea of forever.

12.

This was made for us

she says to me, this was made for us

and no one else, but I know that is not true

because everyone was made for themselves

and most people whether they know it or not

are kings and queens of

nothing at all.

Cover Image Credit: Mira Rosenkotz

50 Quotes from the Best Vines

If you're picturing the vines in your head, you're doing it right
530204

In 2017 we had to say goodbye to one of the best websites to ever roam the internet: Vine. In case you have been living under a rock since 2013, Vine was -(sad face)- a website and app that took the internet and the app store by storm in Winter 2013. It contained 6-second videos that were mostly comedy- but there were other genres including music, sports, cool tricks and different trends. Vine stars would get together and plan out a vine and film it till they got it right.

It was owned by Twitter and it was shut down because of so many reasons; the viners were leaving and making money from Youtube, there was simply no money in it and Twitter wanted us to suffer.

There's been a ton of threads on Twitter of everyone's favorite vines so I thought I'd jump in and share some of my favorites. So without further ado, here are some quotes of vines that most vine fanatics would know.

1. "AHH...Stahhp. I coulda dropped mah croissant"

2. "Nate how are those chicken strips?" "F%#K YA CHICKEN STRIPS.....F%#K ya chicken strips!"

3. "Road work ahead? Uh Yea, I sure hope it does"

4. "Happy Crimus...." "It's crismun..." "Merry crisis" "Merry chrysler"

5. "...Hi Welcome to Chili's"

6. "HoW dO yOu kNoW wHaT's gOoD fOr mE?" "THAT'S MY OPINIONNN!!!.."

7."Welcome to Bible Study. We're all children of Jesus... Kumbaya my looordd"

8. Hi my name's Trey, I have a basketball game tomorrow. Well I'm a point guard, I got shoe game..."

9. "It's a avocadooo...thanks"

10. "Yo how much money do you have?" "69 cents" "AYE you know what that means?" "I don't have enough money for chicken nuggets"

11. "Hurricane Katrina? More like Hurricane Tortilla."

12. "Hey Tara you want some?" "This b*%th empty. YEET!"

13. "Get to Del Taco. They got a new thing called Freesha-- Free-- Freeshavaca do"

14. "Mothertrucker dude that hurt like a buttcheek on a stick"

15. "Two brooss chillin in a hot tub 5 feet apart cuz they're not gay"

16. "Jared can you read number 23 for the class?" "No I cannot.... What up I'm Jared, I'm 19 and I never f#@%in learned how to read."

17. "Not to be racist or anything but Asian people SSUUGHHH"

18. 18. "I wanna be a cowboy baby... I wanna be a cowboy baby"

19. "Hey, I'm lesbian" "I thought you were American"

20. "I spilled lipstick in your Valentino bag" "you spilled- whaghwhha- lipstick in my Valentino White bag?"

21. "What's better than this? Guys bein dudes"

22. "How'd you get these bumps? ya got eggzma?" "I got what?" "You got eggzma?"

23. "WHAT ARE THOSEEEEE?" "THEY are my crocs!"

24. "Can I get a waffle? Can I please get a waffle?"

25. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY RAVEN!" "I can't sweem"

26. "Say Coloradoo" "I'M A GIRAFFE!!"

27. "How much did you pay for that taco?" Aight yo you know this boys got his free tacoo"

28. *Birds chirping* "Tweekle Tweekle"

29. "Girl, you're thicker than a bowl of oatmeal"

30. "I brought you Frankincense" "Thank you" "I brought you Myrrh" "Thank you" "Mur-dur" "huh...Judas..no"

31. "Sleep? I don't know about sleep...it's summertime" "You ain't go to bed?" "Oh she caught me"

32. "All I wanna tell you is school's not important... Be whatever you wanna be. If you wanna be a dog...RUFF. You know?"33. "Oh I like ya accent where you from?" "I'm Liberian" "Oh, my bad *whispering* I like your accent..."

34. "Next Please" "Hello" "Sir, this is a mug shot" "A mug shot? I don't even drink coffee"

35. "Hey did you happen to go to class last week?" "I have never missed a class"

36. "Go ahead and introduce yourselves" "My name is Michael with a B and I've been afraid of insects my entire-" "Stop, stop, stop. Where?" "Hmm?" "Where's the B?" "There's a bee?"

37. "There's only one thing worse than a rapist...Boom" "A child" "No"

38. "Later mom. What's up me and my boys are going to see Uncle Kracker...GIVE ME MY HAT BACK JORDAN! DO YOU WANNA SEE UNCLE KRACKER OR NO?

39. "Dad look, it's the good kush." This is the dollar store, how good can it be?"

40. "Zach stop...Zach stop...You're gonna get in trouble. Zach"

41. "CHRIS! Is that a weed? "No this is a crayon-" I'm calling the police" *puts 911 into microwave* "911 what's your emergency"

42. "WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? "

43. *Blowing vape on table* * cameraman blows it away* "ADAM"

44. "Would you like the spider in your hand?" "Yea" "Say please" "Please" *puts spider in hand* *screams*

45. "Oh hi, thanks for checking in I'm still a piece of garrbaagge"

46. *girl blows vape* "...WoW"

47. *running* "...Daddy?" "Do I look like-?"

48. *Pours water onto girl's face" "Hello?"

49. "Wait oh yes wait a minute Mr. Postman" "HaaaAHH"

50. "...And they were roommates" "Mah God they were roommates"

I could literally go on forever because I just reference vines on a daily basis. Rest in peace Vine