Carpools can't drive themselves: Poetry on Odyssey

12 things I didn't know last year
1296

1.

I know this boy named Oliver

he makes art

last year his brother died

we had the same birthday

that is probably something that never gets easier

like talking to pretty girls

or telling the truth

but so much

worse.

2.

When we were little

and dressed up in costumes

we were anybody we wanted

except the parents

carpools can’t drive themselves

no matter how many times

you use your three wishes

for more wishes

somebody will tell you

it doesn’t work that way.

3.

My cousins are all older than me

but that didn’t stop them from being

the smaller person

on almost every occasion

I got stuck with the Buzz Lightyear costume

no matter what the game

or how many light years away

I was.

4.

Warm leather smells like the summer

I turned 9

only when it’s warm outside

and [it’s never really] cold out

does my heart reflect the weather

like the room on the back of a spoon,

or more like my eyes

in the mirror?

5.

Did the little boy inside of you

get out to play today?

Make sure he does tomorrow

give him the wooden bow and arrow

your dad made you

for Halloween that one year

when you were sick

and never ended up going out.

6.

When I can feel the drums

in my chest and echo

in my stomach

it probably isn’t quite loud enough

have you ever drowned something

without water?

It’s easier than you would think,

you just need to be

[louder].

7.

Most pain is temporary

that’s what people will tell you

you don’t have to listen to them

put your earbuds in

sometimes

you don’t even have to plug them in.

8.

Uniforms have too many different meanings

to make them comfortable

try them on like skin

that you get to choose

pick a good one

change it out

every seven years

or when you need to

do laundry.

9.

Anish Kapoor called

he wants his mirrors back

how many people do you see when you look

at yourself

sometimes it is hard to be all of them

at once

there was a time when you were nothing at all

and there will be a time

when you will be everything

again.

10.

Michelangelo why

have you robbed the hands of each other’s

touch? Why will they never feel

the fingers that you put

just out of reach

tell me how

do you sleep at night?

11.

I watched somebody fly

too close to the sun once

luckily the air is made of hope

clouds are someone’s dreams

and the ground is made of love

so he only broke his left arm

and his idea of forever.

12.

This was made for us

she says to me, this was made for us

and no one else, but I know that is not true

because everyone was made for themselves

and most people whether they know it or not

are kings and queens of

nothing at all.

Cover Image Credit: Mira Rosenkotz

What Your Hogwarts House Says About You

Get yourself sorted and find out where you belong in the world of witchcraft and wizardry.
379807

Sorting at Hogwarts is a big deal. Being sorted into a house is essentially being placed into a family while you are away from home learning about witchcraft and wizardry. Your house is made up of the people you will live with, go to classes with, play Quidditch with and everything in between. You basically spend 24/7 with them. Your Hogwarts house is your home away from home.

When you get sorted into a house, it is based on your personality traits. The people in your house are typically like-minded people who display the same characteristics as you.

When you’re a first year at Hogwarts, the minute you set foot in the castle you are swept into the Great Hall to have the ancient Sorting Hat placed on your head. This Sorting Hat decides which “family” you’ll be spending your seven years with.

For some, it is very obvious which house they will be in, due to certain personality traits they possess. For others, they may exemplify traits that fit a multitude of houses and are uncertain where they may end up.

To find out where you belong, you can take the official "Harry Potter" Sorting Hat quiz at Pottermore.com. For all you muggles out there, these are the characteristics that the houses possess and what your house says about you:

Gryffindor: The house of the brave, loyal, courageous, adventurous, daring and chivalrous. Those who stand up for others are typically Gryffindors. Brave-hearted is the most well-known Gryffindor characteristic, and Gryffindors are also known for having a lot of nerve.

Gryffindors are people who hold a multitude of qualities alongside the ones listed, making them a very well-rounded house. People who are Gryffindors are often people who could fit nicely into another house but choose to tell the sorting hat they want Gryffindor (there's that bravery). "Do what is right" is the motto Gryffindors go by.

Being a Gryffindor means that you're probably the adventurous and courageous friend, and you are usually known for doing what is right.

Ravenclaw: The house is known for their wisdom, intelligence, creativity, cleverness and knowledge. Those who value brains over brawn can be found here. Ravenclaws often tend to be quite quirky as well. "Do what is wise" is the motto they strive to follow.

Though Ravenclaws can be know-it-alls sometimes, they most likely do know what the wisest decision is.

If you are known for being the quirky friend, the smartest in the group or just great at making wise decisions, you're definitely a Ravenclaw.

Hufflepuff: This house values hard work, dedication, fair play, patience, and loyalty. Hufflepuff’s are known for being just and true. "Do what is nice" is their motto.

Hufflepuff is known as the “nice house” and believes strongly in sparing peoples feelings and being kind. This is not to say that Hufflepuffs aren't smart or courageous. Hufflepuffs just enjoy making others happy and tend to be more patient towards people.

If you ever find that you are too nice for your own good and cannot bear to hurt someone’s feelings, congratulations, you are a Hufflepuff.

Slytherin: This is the house of the cunning, prideful, resourceful, ambitious, intelligent, and determined. Slytherin's love to be in charge and crave leadership. "Do what is necessary" is the motto of this house.

Slytherin is a fairly well-rounded house, similar to the other houses. They are loyal to those that are loyal to them just as Gryffindors are and are intelligent as Ravenclaws.

Slytherin house as a whole is not evil, despite how many dark wizards come out of this house. That is merely based on the choices of those wizards (so if your friend is a Slytherin, don’t judge, it doesn’t mean they are mean people). Slytherins do, however, have a tendency to be arrogant or prideful. This is most likely due to the fact that everyone in Slytherin is exceedingly proud to be there.

What Hogwarts house you’re in says a lot about the person you are, the traits you possess and how you may act in some situations. But in the end, your house is really just your home that is always there for you. Always.