Why Carol Is The Best Character On The Walking Dead

As the apocalypse rages on, one woman stands out from the horde.

927
Gene Page AMC

The Walking Dead is a show that's captivated fans from the moment AMC put it on the air. Fans of the comics flocked to the show, as well as many others who just wanted to see some gory zombies. We began our journey watching citizens try to survive hordes of the undead. I believe the reason a majority of fans are still enthralled by the show is the character development. They have such complex stories, that the zombie outbreak is put on the back burner sometimes. All the characters (that are alive long enough) develop their survival skills with aide from fellow survivors; Although certain characters have clearly made more drastic leaps than others.

For instance, Rick is the main character for a reason. He has gone from rookie cop to cut throat leader in the time we've seen the story unfold; which is part of the reason we love to watch. The characters interactions with the situations around them; as well as each other has led them down a path to self discovery. Being able to see that journey first hand is my personal favorite thing about the show. We don't have many left from the original troupe in the first season now. In my opinion though, however one person who's been their from the beginning has shown herself to be the strongest of them all.

Carol Peletier started out in the first season as an abused wife and mother. She had no fighting background and didn't appear like she would amount to much. She would cry and hide rather than fight in the beginning. Carols only reason to keep on going was her daughter Sofia. As the season progressed we find carols husband has been killed by walkers and as she grieves for him her daughter goes missing. It seems as if all hope is lost for her. Yet she continues on searching for her daughter.

She still appears timid and meek as she looks for her daughter, but her demeanor begins to shift from abused housewife to bad-ass in the making. Through a series of events I wont take the time to explain; (since if you're reading this you've probably seen the show, and if not I don't want to ruin it for you.) Sofia is found, but she isn't alive. It breaks Carols heart.

Her only comfort is her new found friend Daryl, and the hopes of revenge on the creatures who took her life from her. She slowly progresses as our story continues into a woman to not be messed with. Her fighting skills are unmatched by any man or woman she's come across. There are plenty in ricks group who can fight you say? You would be 100% right. Carol however doesn't just know how to fight she knows how to commit all out warfare. She has had to save the members of ricks group multiple times, sometimes acting single handedly to save them from disaster. She is pretty much the Rambo of the apocalypse.

The thing I believe makes her the most vulnerable and deadly is her heart. She loves fiercely. She is a war machine with a heart of gold. Its clear she would do anything to help her friends when they are in need. That conclusion made her realize why she was so dangerous. It's a mental game more than any physical capability. She knows what to say, when to say it, and how to act to make it work out in her favor. She realized quickly that in order to protect the ones she loves that she'll have to make deadly choices.

"Do you really just not get it? After everything that's happened? If you care about people, there are people to protect, there are people that you will kill for. If you don't want to kill... or if you can't... then you have to get away from them. You do not get both." - Carol.

She is no longer by any means a beaten woman, but she could play one and win an Oscar for the job. She knows how; and when to pull on peoples heart strings. She is cunning and deceitful when she needs to be, but underneath is still full of love. She is hands down the most evolved character I've seen on the walking dead. Now she's also one of the characters who's stayed alive the longest out of the originals; So kudos to that.

All my years of watching the show and waiting impatiently for the the new seasons to come out have been a joy. The best thing about shows with long lasting seasons is you getting to see the growth of the characters. The ups and the downs make not only for good television, but for a way to connect with them. In life its not all ups. We have a lot of Negans and walkers to watch out for, but if we're lucky we might find a few friends worth fighting for. Id certainly love to have a Carol on my team in the zombie outbreak.