Cardi B Was Bullied For Winning A Grammy, Apparently We're Scared Of A Female's Success

I didn't even have to watch the Grammys to know that something bad would come out of it.

16

I didn't watch the Grammys this year and I haven't in years - the last time I watched the Grammys was 2017 because Beyoncé was performing and after her performance, I turned the channel and before that, I watched when Justin Bieber, Jaden Smith, and Usher performed, so it's been a while. It's just not what it used to be. While I didn't watch this year, I do enjoy the red carpet and the aftermath unfolding on Twitter. Why watch the Grammys when Twitter will keep you up to date? I saw that my girl, my sister (not literally), Cardi B won Best Rap Album and was the first female artist to do so. That's a massive win and accomplishment and I was so excited for her because "Invasion of Privacy" was absolutely amazing (even with the overplayed songs). I felt like I was winning with Cardi, too. But she couldn't enjoy her moment because bullies and trolls rolled into the club.

First, people were dragging Ariana into the mix because she wrote a tweet (or two) that called the Grammys out for flying Mac Miller's family out knowing that the late rapper didn't win a single award - that's childish and the Grammys can catch these hands. Cardi addressed the haters face-on and said, "Last year when "Bodak Yellow" didn't win, I was snubbed. Now that I won, it's a problem." And that's the killer - it is a problem and it's sad.

The nominees for Best Rap Album were Mac Miller, Pusha T, Travis Scott, and Nipsey Hussle. Cardi was the only female nominated in that category, so her winning was monumental, especially up against the other artists. The toxic masculinity, toxic femininity (yes, it is real), and other toxic attributes jumped out and as a result, Cardi deleted her Instagram (she's back now).

I'm sick of seeing a woman get bullied for being successful, especially when the occasion of her winning is as high as the Grammys. Let Cardi (and other successful women) just live and succeed in peace.