Yes, Car Crashes Kill More People Than Guns, But We Still Have Speed Limits

Semi-automatic guns are getting heat for the after market's production of bump stocks causing murders. But why?

655
Flickr

In recent months the talk of bump stocks has been a trending topic. Opinions by Ben Shapiro has made their way across social media:

Bump stocks should be illegal, but we shouldn't pretend that outlawing them will prevent their easy manufacture and availability.
— Ben Shapiro (@benshapiro) October">https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/915233245981... 3, 2017

As well as by Trump:

So the question is: What is a bump stock?

A bump stock is described as an after-market mechanism that allows a semi-automatic rifle to become an automatic rifle. Although, I have a problem with that description.

Here in the south many love working on cars and trucks. If I were to put a Corvette engine in a 1984 Chevy Silverado pickup, would I call it a Corvette? No, of course not. The engine increased the speed of the vehicle but did not affect the vehicle itself.

In addition, there is also the idea that there is no practical civilian application for having a semi-automatic weapon, bump stock, nor fully automatic weapon. Well, I have a point for that, too. In Germany, there is the Autobahn. When driving on the Autobahn, there is a speed limit but at the same time, speeding is not a concern.

Therefore, sports cars have a practical application for Germany. In the United States, on the interstate, the usual speed limit is 70 MPH.That is to say, a driver is not supposed to exceed that limit. If there is no way to legally drive over 70 MPH, how come we are allowed sports cars and engines over 70MPH? The engines are supplying the opportunity to speed.

We are allowed guns and cars due to the ability to be mobile for jobs, as well as cars to hunt. The aftermarket application for both is so people can have hobbies with building their cars and guns; all about customization.

In 2016, over 37,000 people were killed due to car crashes. That is more deaths than via guns. So why not regulate car engines? If they kill more people, should this not be a concern to the public? You are probably thinking this is absurd because vehicular crashes are not caused by cars, but commonly by people not following the laws.

To wreck a car, a person has to put force energy to put the keys in the car and start the motor. If so, then why is there the phrase "People don't kill people, guns kill people"? Does a person not have to buy ammo, like gas for a car, load the ammo, and actively pull the trigger like starting an engine? Therefore, do people not kill people?