Captain Card Game

Captain Card Game

How we got started and where we are going!

34
Captain Card Game
Brady Williams Photography

Captain Card Game has been a non-stop production for nearly a year. The design has been a rollercoaster ride of late-night printing, hilariously disastrous play testing and a lot of fun parties. It started while my brother was at a college party. He was sitting there, drink in hand, watching two friends argue over what a Jack should be in a game of King’s Cup. He was annoyed and started chuckling and they both looked at him. “What?”

He replied by telling them that every place he’d traveled had a different set of rules and a different name for the game. The game had been called Ring of Fire, King’s Cup, Dickhead, etc., and the card had any number of possible rules associated with it. So, for that game, they tried a completely new rule. It diffused their argument, and they all got back to having fun and drinking.

That conversation left a spark deep in the creative brain of an architecture student, though. During the entire game, my brother contemplated how a game might work if he could start from scratch, and not be limited to assigning meanings to certain cards. What if every card was its own card with its own icon and its own text, with no numbers or royalty to get in the way?

Captain was born.

Although mostly my older brother’s project, it has definitely been a family affair. From the beginning I have been a small part of it, helping with the design here and there. Giving my ideas when asked, and even when they weren’t. And always willing to help test the new design with a party, of course! But if you know me, you know that business is my passion, my heart and my soul. Although at first hesitant to mix family and business, I believed in the product that Daniel developed and believed that with the right team, we could share this insanely fun game with everyone.

Let’s just say that God, or the Universe, or the Stars, or whatever you may believe in worked for us because just a few weeks ago, we met the right people. We met Jerhiame Walls and Bemo Rouge at the first public reveal of Captain and they quickly became two of our best friends. They love the game, and talk began of mutual promotion. I don’t think we would have it any other way. These are two of the most positive, energetic and creative people I have ever met in my life and they make waking up and doing my job every day a joy. We love being around them. Together we make the “Dream Team” and we have already accomplished so much in the short time we have been together.

We are young with big dreams and lots of passion. Every day we are dedicated to working toward having Captain in the hands of every one of you.

On September 1, 2016 Captain Card Game will be launching a Kickstarter Campaign. Kickstarter allows anyone to bring a creative project to life by safely allowing anyone to become a small part of backing a project. For Captain, Kickstarter will serve as a place to “preorder” a deck of Captain Card Game, funding the first order from the manufacturer in New Jersey. As a matter of fact, Captain only becomes manufactured if the Kickstarter campaign is successfully funded.

Captain has multiple public events coming up to show off the game! The next event is on August 20th, where Jerhiame will be doing a celebratory performance of his single release, “Sad Song,” with a DJ performance by Bemo Rouge. And all of the guests will be playing Captain at Haze On Texas, in Shreveport, Louisiana. This is not an event you want to miss!

To stay up to date on all things Captain and learn about upcoming events, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram! To learn more about Captain Card Game, check us out on www.captaincardgame.com!