Captain Buzzy's: A Coffee Destination

Captain Buzzy's: A Coffee Destination

They're among Richmond's best.

67
Captain Buzzy's: A Coffee Destination
Matthew S. Sporn

Remember "Central Perk," that cool coffee shop from Friends? How about Cafe Nervosa, the fancy espresso shop from Frasier? I always liked the "cozy" look of those cafes. The plush-looking sofas, the warm, cozy aura, and obviously a great place to be with your Friends! (Sorry) Well, I used to lament the fact that Richmond lacked one of those shops. The residents of Church Hill might beg to differ.

For fifteen years, Captain Buzzy's Beanery has been the spot for...everybody. I visited the shop recently and saw first-hand the diverse crowd the store attracts. The place was packed, with barely a seat free. I ordered their famous Oreo chiller (who cares that it was freezing outside) and grabbed a seat in the back. I was joined by Brian Russo, a manager and jack-of-all trades, who’s been at the shop for over two years. His relationship with Buzzy's though, goes back much further.

"I would come in all the time with my girlfriend and study, back during college." (Russo was also in a band at the time.) "We'd be touring three, four months out of the year," said Russo. "I needed a job for the times I was home." One day after a job interview, Russo stopped at Buzzy's, where he was recognized by the manager. "He noticed I was dressed up, so I told him I had a job interview." The manager then asked him how it went. "I told him I didn't get it." The manager looked at Russo and said he could start tomorrow. Russo said, "I've been here ever since!" Working at Buzzy's, Russo sees a lot of familiar faces too.

"It's a neighborhood place, really is," said Russo. "You'll see people on their way to work, on their lunch break." Indeed, Buzzy's is a place where they (really) know your name. The shop has plenty of regulars stopping in, including VCU students looking for a more relaxed atmosphere for studying. "Some of the other places closer to campus are more fast paced," said Russo. Atmosphere isn't all that sets Buzzy's apart.

While most coffee shops in town offer a modest amount of food, Captain Buzzy's offers an extensive menu, with options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Russo pointed out that "the menu is constantly changing," with new items frequently appearing. In addition, all their offerings, including sandwiches, scones, brownies, and breakfast, are made fresh in-store. Of course, Buzzy's is nothing without their signature coffee.

Roasted in-store each day, Captain Buzzy's coffee is as craft as it comes. Notes of flavors like hazelnut and cinnamon, beans from as far as Northern Mexico; this is not your typical "cup of coffee." Russo says the shop routinely delivers mail orders for their coffees, although visitors can choose to pick up their favorite blend at the shop too. They offer several selections of beans, nestled in with their mugs and t-shirts.

Church Hill is Richmond's oldest neighborhood, and it's seen a lot of changes. Captain Buzzy's is something of a staple there, and hopefully it will be for years to come.

Captain Buzzy's is open Monday - Friday 6:30 AM - 7PM, Saturday 7:30 AM - 7PM, and Sunday 8AM - 6PM.