13 Questions I Had After I Watched What Happened At The Capitol

How did we get to this point, how was this allowed, is this the beginning or the end?

41
Twitter

After Biden-Harris was elected, I had hope for the future of the United States. Biden-Harris was more than Joe Biden and Kamala Harris, it signified people denouncing President Donald Trump's racist, hateful rhetoric, and it gave me hope that I did not need to step aside or hide.

That hope I had for the United States diminished on January 6th, 2021. I watched as Trump supporters turned themselves into Domestic Terrorists, and broke into the Capitol. I sat on my couch and watched as the Capitol was being overtaken, and I knew in that instant, if these people were non-white, this would have had a different ending.

So now I'm left with all these questions.

1. Why weren't we prepared?

Twitter

Everyone knew something was going to happen on January 6th, however, we did not know the extent of it. From Tiktoks, Twitter, and Facebook posts, everyone was preparing for something. So why wasn't there extra security, why weren't there actions in-place, why wasn't there extra help readily available? Why weren't we prepared?

2. Why weren't the police doing their job?

Twitter

Capitol police were seen changing into their MAGA outfits, taking selfies with these domestic terrorists, and letting them straight through the Capitol. Why didn't they simply do their job? Why were they allowed to fall back on their job?

3. Why is this what the Lincoln Memorial looked like during the Black Lives Matter protest?

Twitter

Why was it when there were peaceful protestors during the Black Lives Matter protestors, this is what security at the Lincoln Memorial looked like?

4. Yet these were the steps of the Capitol on January 6th, why?

Twitter

Yet on January 6th when people broke into the Capitol, this is what the steps of the Capitol looked like.

5. Why weren't people being arrested right away?

Twitter

Since then, more arrests have been made. But, why weren't there more arrests on the spot? Why are there only mass arrests made during Black Lives Matter protests?

6. Why was this 'Patriotic'?

Twitter

Many supporters claimed to have done this for 'patriotism', and I'm so confused. How is it patriotic to break into government property, and then cut the US flag to fly a Trump flag? If it's so wrong to kneel during the anthem, how is it any better to replace the American flag with a Trump flag?

7. Why did the FBI ask for our help?

Twitter

Like this tweet said, the FBI had no issue identifying protesters from other sources, so why do they need our help now?

8. What's the point of a border wall if it's okay to climb these walls?

Twitter

What's the point of the border wall? We can see walls won't keep people out, so what's the point of "building the wall"?

9. What message is this supposed to send to our youth?

Twitter

What is the message supposed to be here, really? Is it supposed to be 'throw a tantrum when you don't get your way'? Is it supposed to be 'protests are wrong unless they're our protests' or 'we can break into government property, steal government property, and attempt to kidnap people'? I am legitimately puzzled.

10. How do we move forward?

Twitter

How do we go forward from here? After watching four years of this President spew hateful rhetoric, and then seeing he still has supporters that would go to dangerous lengths for him, how do we move forward?

11. Is this the end, or the beginning?

Twitter

While Democrats claim this is the end, Trump supporters claim this is only the beginning. Is this the mark of the end of Trump's presidency, or is this the beginning of an eerie revolution?

12. How is our generation supposed to feel?

Twitter

Our generation has lived through several historical events, and many of them aren't great. After going out there and voting, to then see the capitol being taken over, how is our generation supposed to feel?

13. How will our democracy be protected in the future?

Twitter

Through all the disaster and tragedy, congress still resumed their session and confirmed Joe Biden and Kamala Harris as President and Vice-President elect at 3:40 am. On this day, despite the Capitol being under attack by domestic terrorists, our democracy prevailed. Now, how will it be protected in the future?