Why I Can't Stop Listening To 'Ultralight Beam'

A critical analysis of Kanye West's opening track to his most recent album, 'The Life of Pablo.'

198
Rolling Stone

Kanye West sent out a tweet on Jan. 27, 2016, that referenced his then-upcoming album, stating that it "is actually a gospel album." The tweet sparked a wide range of responses within the Twitter community. Many responded negatively, because they were confused as to how the traditionally explicit and profane artist could create anything remotely close to a gospel. When Kanye's album dropped on Feb. 14, 2016, his music became available for streaming on the private music streaming site, Tidal. Kanye named his album "The Life of Pablo," and it contains 19 tracks and about an hour's worth of music.

A gospel, defined by Merriam-Webster, is described as "an interpretation of the Christian message." Throughout Kanye's album, there are several references to Christianity and his religious beliefs. The opening track, "Ultralight Beam," is one of the most popular and noticeably gospel piece that Kanye has created.

Personally, when I first saw Kanye's tweet about producing a gospel album, I was one of the individuals who was skeptical. I didn't quite believe in his ability to create, execute and market, gospel music successfully. However, I was proven horribly wrong once I listened to his track, "Ultralight Beam." Every aspect of this song down to the rhythm, to me, screams gospel.

The song opens with the enthusiastic voice of a young girl arrhythmically praising the Lord, serving as a perfect prelude for Kanye's faith-filled entrance. Within the narrative regarding his struggle to find faith, he calls for a deliverance of serenity, peace and love. Directly after this call, he makes a reference to the terror attacks on Paris: "That's why we need you now, oh, I pray for Paris, pray for the parents." His reference to a modern issue where individuals are praying for strength, strengthens the listener's comprehension and his/her/their ability to connect to the issue on a deeper level.

Kelly Price enters shortly after Kanye, descriptively elaborating on personal struggles to keep faith. Price rhetorically asks, "So why send depression not blessings?/ Why, oh, why did you do me wrong?" She continues by singing, "you persecute the weak, because it makes you feel so strong." These lines describe how easy it is to question and turn on your faith in times of hardship. However, Price resolves this issue when she sings, "Don't have much strength to find/ so I look to the light." This urges listeners to not attack their faith, but indulge in it when you feel at a loss. She concludes, "no longer am afraid of the night/ 'cause I, I look to the light." Kelly Price's entire section of "Ultralight Beam" teaches the listeners to hold steadfast in their faith, because she believes that faith will bring you safety and comfort. This idea that Price communicates through "Ultralight Beam" is an idea that is present in countless gospel pieces, but is now being sung through the medium of hip-hop. In an interview with The FABER, Price labelled the track as a "street parable." For those who do not understand the concept of parables, they are stories used to communicate divine messages to individuals who might not understand them otherwise. The artists are communicating compassion and faith by incorporating modern social issues into hip-hop/rap in order for their audiences to better understand it.

Chance the Rapper, my personal favorite artist, is the next to be featured in "Ultralight Beam." He further applies this concept of a "street parable" to the song through several rhymed references to social issues, morals in society and his own personal faith. His lyrics are extremely empowering and inspirational, ultimately giving off a "can-do" attitude, and he credits this to his faith. This is exemplified in the lines, "Tubman of the underground, come and follow the trail/ I made Sunday Candy I'm never going to Hell/ I met Kanye West I'm never going to fail." Comparing himself to Harriet Tubman, an individual who led people from discrimination and evil to safety and freedom, strongly relates to his own role in the music industry. Chance aims to reform the industry by exposing the negative aspects of the it, which he communicates through the reference to Harriet Tubman. Confidence in the face of adversity is additionally displayed in his lyrics, and truly shows how large of a role he plays in the fight against oppression and discrimination in the music industry. Chance credits his success to his faith in the lines: "You cannot mess with the light/ look at lil Chano from 79th." Chance references himself as lil Chano from 79th to show how far he has come, from living in the South Side of Chicago on 79th street, to famously leaving his creative imprint on the music industry. All in all, Chance the Rapper addresses moral issues in the music industry through rap, whilst reinforcing the idea that faith will bring you guidance.

I love this song for so many reasons. The catchy beat, the choral accompaniment, the incredible vocals, but most importantly, the passion and faith entwined within the new-age lyrical poetry. I can't stop listening to it, and I am eager to see how this modern gospel album impacts and revolutionizes the music industry. #YEEZY