"SOS CAN'T PICK A CAREER."

I Have So Many Interests, I Can't Pick A Career

"Where do you go if you like too many things?!?!?!?!!"

36

I thought I wanted to be an art teacher since elementary school. I was set on that. Then high school came and the art teachers sort of ruined that for me, but only a few of them. I felt like I could not truly express myself in classes as I wanted to when given assignments, and I did not want to have to do that to children myself.

Then college came around and I was undecided. I took my first sociology and communications class during my freshman year and loved it. I then started researching jobs about broadcasting and TV and thought that would be a cool field to get into. So I double major in communications and sociology in hopes of working in the broadcasting field. The sociology degree was just because I enjoyed taking classes on them.

I got my first broadcasting job about 7 months after graduating. It was part-time but it was a start with a good hourly wage. However, I started to despise the broadcasting field a bit. I thought it was this awesome and glamorous job where you get to meet celebrities and do awesome backstage stuff. I was wrong in many ways.

Although I had amazing coworkers and supervisors, I felt lost again. I was helping to run programs, but I was not as passionate about it as I thought I would be. I then got depressed and sunk to the bottom. I could not imagine myself doing broadcasting for the rest of my life. I thought, maybe I need to do something else, explore a bit. I did just that. It was stressful I won't lie but it helped me find myself a little bit better.

I tried working a second job at a restaurant which I did not enjoy so I quit. Then I started to work at a few non-profits where I thought I would be helping kids, but really, I felt more like a babysitter. Although the jobs were good with nice people, I felt like I needed to do more. However, these part-time jobs made me realize that I enjoyed dance, interacting with people, enjoyed helping the environment, helping people, and having more of an active job.

I had no intention of getting a masters degree, but everyone recommended social work to me. At first, I put that in the back burner because I did not want to be a therapist. I then realized that social work is not just therapy work. You can work for the environment and do advocating for sustainable programs. You can work in human resources and interacting with new employees. I can work in the inclusive department at a corporate office. I can be a volunteer coordinator for the elderly. I realized maybe a master's was worth it.

I signed up to do a cheap online program at Boise State in Idaho, where I have been doing part-time classes in social work. By the time classes started, I was looking for more broadcasting jobs at a company with large opportunities and departments. After applying, I found myself a full-time job working for a company in PA, and although it is in broadcasting, it has been an awesome job. It is much busier than my old job and I get paid more.

So I work in broadcasting while getting my master's in social work. Perhaps the sociology paid off a bit since I may end up switching careers. However, I am scared that I have made the wrong choice to get a master's and in deciding what career path I want to go down.

I listed some cool things you can do with a master's degree, but what if I want to change again? What if I wanted to work in a communications office and I do not gain that much experience? What if I end up wanting to be a tour guide? What if I end up wanting to work for Hershey Park, Literally MY FAVORITE PLACE EVER! I do not mean operating rides, but that does sound fun! What if I want to work in the hospitality industry? Should I have gotten a master's degree in communications instead?

So my point is, there are so many choices you can make to find the perfect job or career, but I personally do not think that exists. The best advice I can give is to write out your interests, apply to jobs or volunteer at places that you think you may like, and go from there. you may find a career you like that you never even thought of.