You Can't Call Yourself A Dancer Unless You've Experienced These 9 Feelings

From professional to amateur, every dancer relates to these things.
1991

Dance is a beautiful way to express art and emotion. Being a dancer has taught me to be more passionate and that sometimes it's better if you just simply let go and release your emotions into the world. But as you can obviously tell, dance isn't always serious. You can have fun and cut up without the emotional strings attached, which is also very therapeutic.

A lot of fun commentary and mess-ups are also involved in the dance world which makes it so much more enjoyable. Especially if you have a quirky dance teacher and other dancers to laugh along with. Here are some top studio experiences every dancer can relate to.

1. Those rare moments when your dance teacher gets down in the middle of class.

Sometimes your dance teacher will break it down and show you how it's done and those are the moments I live for.

2. When your dance teacher makes noises instead of counting.

Probably the most humorous thing your dance teacher will ever do. Sometimes it's easier to remember your dance teacher making weird noises than it is to remember the actual counts.

3. When your dance teacher yells "YES!"

This gives you the best feeling ever. You know you are doing it right if she/he screams this.

4. When you have no idea what's going on and you just look around the room.

Lets face it, sometimes we can't pick up on the choreography as fast as others or sometimes we are just simply lost. Especially when you've missed a few practices.

5. That moment when you and the other dancers are dancing and you look up and see your dance teacher crying.

A very valuable moment to never take for granted. If you dance with so much passion that your teacher feels it, then you and your team are dancing the right way.

6. When you get so lost in the music and movements that you completely lose yourself.

This can be a difficult thing for some people, including myself, but when it does happen, it's absolutely magical. There is nothing better than surrendering yourself to music and dance.

7. Those moments where you get so frustrated at yourself because you can't do something right.

This happens a lot. On some things, like choreography, you can pick up easily. But for tricks or turns or letting go, it can be a whole different story. But that's one thing you have to learn about dance. it isn't about being perfect, it's about dancing with your soul.

8. Those moments when you have to do push-ups because you said the word "can't."

At my studio, this word landed you right in purgatory. Punishments resulted in ten push-ups each time you said it. We learned pretty quick not to say it...

9. When you pull your hamstring in the middle of dancing/stretching, but you pretend it didn't happen, so you keep dancing with tears in your eyes.

If I had a dime for every time this happened, I wouldn't have to pay for college. Most of the time you just learn to toughen it out because you don't want to quit dancing and/or you don't want to explain to your dance teacher that you have not been stretching regularly.

Dance is a beautiful and therapeutic way to have fun and release stress. Dance is something everyone can do, whether you've had experience or not. Dance is about learning about yourself and building good relationships with yourself, not being perfect.