Cancelling Culture Is Changing The World

It is opening up new dialogues and signaling a change in our society.
1183

Recently, there's been a practice on Twitter that goes by the name "canceling." Essentially, we (the consumers) stop supporting and following people who have been revealed to be problematic (i.e racist, homophobic, anti-feminist, or rapists). That doesn't sound bad, right? That's because it isn't. It almost seems like common sense that you don't support someone anymore after you find out that they go against everything you stand for. To some, it's irrelevant, which is very troubling.

I can understand that people don't want to mix social issues politics with entertainment, but like nearly everything, they are interconnected. This is largely a result of the huge platforms that celebrities are given in our society. Celebrities are asked for their opinions on things from. Even if these things wouldn't normally be interview questions, open communication between them and their fans through social media makes questions about personal beliefs ubiquitous. People don't just want to know who the likes of Selena Gomez and Johnny Depp are dating anymore. Don't get me wrong, they still care! But, now they also want to know who they voted for in the last election, why they did, what their thoughts are on rape culture and sexual abuse, and if they believe in reverse racism.

What is so great about canceling culture to me is that people are finally being held accountable for their words and actions. Celebrities are aware that the things they say or do can be misconstrued, but I don't think they really understand the consequences that come with certain beliefs they share in tabloids and on national television. I can imagine it's very easy to feel like you're untouchable when you have that much visibility and influence, but in canceling no one is exempt.

Of course, I’m disappointed that I can’t really enjoy my favorite artists anymore, but I cannot be content with supporting someone who openly disrespects my values and beliefs and in some cases, someone who doesn’t care about me or what I stand for. Canceling can stand to be refined, though. For example, how can we help people grow through it? How can we make sure we're reaching the right people? These are things we still have to work through and I believe we can.