Cancel Culture: Yes Or No?

Cancel Culture: Yes Or No?

A glimpse of people's thoughts into the new movement of cancel culture.

5
Cancel Culture: Yes Or No?
Photo by Markus Winkler on Unsplash

As of recent, cancel culture has become such a big movement with our generation. People like Jenna Marbles or Shane Dawson have become two of its victims among many others. Asking around, I received some people's thoughts upon the subject.

10 years ago when a celebrity made a mistake, it was the headline for a week and then it was over, or they'd lose supporters. However, there wasn't an official following out it was more personal at that time. Yeah, it could've taken them a bit of time to get back into the swing of things as getting jobs and booking gigs or other things but now it's different. For example, someone makes a mistake or does something when they were adolescent child, which people also come at you for. Moreover, they say "you should have been raised better, your parents must be blah blah blah" but it's so much more direct, more visible, hurtful and toxic rather than when it was maybe 20 tabloids coming out with magazines for profit. People nowadays are doing it out of malice but it obviously depends on what they're being canceled for and the extent of it.

It's dumb.

If people deserve it, yeah, because they deserve it.

I think it's stupid.

Cancel culture is ridiculous.

I'm against it, I feel like it prematurely judges people and can ruin careers over a mistake.

Ohh yeah I think cancel culture is so stupid.

Sometimes it becomes blown out of proportion and the person can face harm, which is not okay.

I think it depends on the situation, either way, racism or other vulgar comments aren’t okay. However, doxxing or causing further harm is unnecessary.

Cancel culture is a difficult subject. Cancel culture shows the younger generations growing up that racism and any sort of discrimination whether it be jokes or statements or outward just hate speech and hate crime is not tolerated whatsoever. But cancel culture gets toxic when it's a TikTok creator or a YouTuber who has been unproblematic up to this point but has had a video come out of them saying the N-word in a song when they were 12 or 13. Most people don't know that it's wrong to say the N-word in a song because it's lyric and we weren't taught that even in the lyrics and in songs it's wrong to say the N-word. But when it comes to someone, for example, like Shane Dawson who has built his whole entire platform on racial jokes, racial slurs, pedophilia jokes, and blackface and has come out and apologized for those things but still continues to profit and grow his platform that was grown on racism that's a problem. Very recently Jenna marbles just came out and said she was quitting YouTube because of past scandals and she didn't think it was right to still have a fan base and make money because of what she's done in the past. And this is just opinion, but what she's done compared to Shane Dawson is nowhere near the degree of severity that he's reached. it's hard because if we want people to become educated and make changes because of their mistakes we have to accept their apologies and hope for the best in the future, and it's almost like cancel culture should work on a two-strike system where if someone doesn't fix their mistakes then it's right to stop supporting them and stop supporting their career and their future endeavors. It's so hard because there are different degrees to racism and none of them are okay but we should understand that people can learn and change and realize their mistakes and that's what's important. it's such a large spectrum and that's why it's hard to talk about because people can change but people can also just take forgiveness as an opportunity to make these mistakes again. At the end of the day though, overall it's important that we're showing the younger generations that racism will not be tolerated and it teaches them to not do these same actions and their racist idols.