6 Reasons 'Call Me By Your Name' Is My Favorite Movie And Why Hopeless Romantics Should Watch It

"Call Me by Your Name "is more than just a gay romance.

298

.

It's a different type of love, it's Eros

The adaptation of the André Aciman's novel is a heartbreaker but in the best way possible. It makes me cry tears of happiness in the middle, but leaves me crying tears of sadness at the end, a definition otherwise known as Eros. Eros, to Vox film critic Alissa Wilkinson, is "a kind of love that is equal parts passion and torment." This is the perfect way to describe the relationship that forms between the main characters Elio and Oliver. I see Eros in their relationship because they develop an appreciation for each other deeper that words. Towards the end of the movie, Oliver finally leaves Italy, and it's the look that Elio and Oliver exchange that makes me see how they understand what must happen without trying to prevent it. Even though it's extremely hard for both of them.

Lust isn't all that bad

I quickly realized that the love shown between Elio and Oliver not only consisted of Eros but also includes lust. Although lust is usually seen in a negative context, I don't see that in "Call Me by Your Name." In this film, I see lust as a common part of falling in love, especially for the first time. It's a normal aspect of relationships. Shouldn't you be physically attracted to the person you like, let alone love? The passion and desire that Elio and Oliver eventually act on are so genuine that it creates a new definition of lust. It's natural, clear, and essential.

Actors can make or break a movie

Director Luca Guadagnino described Timothée Chalamet and Armie Hammer in a beautiful way. He says, "the passion, intelligence, and artistry that both Timothée Chalamet and Armie Hammer" display is a "profound gift" and that it ultimately contributes to the film's success.

And I agree. In this case, Luca needed actors who could put their soul into the parts and not restrict themselves from trying to fit into the role. This demonstrates the idea that some characters are meant to be acted by specific people, as if chosen by destiny.

Armie plays the role of Oliver, the older research assistant that comes to stay with Elio's family to work closely with Elio's father. He embodies the role through his tall, slim frame, flaunting it ever so smoothly. He's captivated by Elio's inexperienced, careless ambiance and surprised by the relationship that forms but is happy about it. For Elio, love is a first-time experience and his old soul yearns for it, evident in his nature and obsessiveness with Oliver's new American attitude. \

Alissa Wilkinson describes Timothée as "cocky and preternaturally sophisticated — but with a hint of the insecure teenager still hanging around him." And like she continues to say, "The chemistry between Hammer and Chalamet, and their performances, sells the relationship completely." Their chemistry as actors creates a balance and natural connection like I've never seen in a romance film before.

I fell in love with characters who are nothing like me

Elio and Oliver look nothing like me. Although that's a terrible way to judge any film depending on its context and purpose, I admit to it. Two white men who fall in love, that's how I perceived the movie when looking at the cover art. But before watching, I did some more research.

"In 1980s Italy, a romance blossoms between a seventeen-year-old student and the older man hired as his father's research assistant," is "Call Me by Your Name's" description from IMDb. This sentence alone inspired me to dig deeper. "Luca Guadagnino's adaptation of the André Aciman novel captures that swimmy, lost-and-found feeling of what it's like to be young, with a heart and a body new to passionate love and longing," is Seattle Times arts critic, Moira Macdonald's movie review of "Call Me by Your Name."

This is what got me. I'm a sucker for love stories, but this one seemed unusual and fascinating. Maybe because I had never watched a homosexual film before, let alone one that was heavy on love.

It's dramatically calm

"Call Me by Your Name" is a dramatic film, rising in action and ultimately giving the audience a climax. But the difference is in the way the drama is presented. The drama is easy to handle. There's no heightened confrontation or suspenseful thrills. The drama that occurs is a seamless part of Elio and Oliver's lives in Italy. This element of incorporating a love story without too many bumps along the road is something I eventually want to achieve. It takes a weight off the audience who may assume that there will always be major problems between a couple.

I'm glad to say that "Call Me by Your Name" can accurately display emotions that aren't forced and don't need to be explained verbally. The facial expressions, body language, and actions do all the talking for Elio and Oliver, making it easy to remember this film as a light and airy love story without the need for harsh analyzation.

Italy is magnificent 

Street of Giuseppe Mazzini Crema Italy

"Call Me by Your Name" is set and filmed in Crema, Italy. The film's environment is where Elio and Oliver fall in love, AKA the perfect place to fall in love.

It's also important in another way. The aesthetic and music of "Call Me by Your Name" are a product of Italy's indication of romance. These elements contribute to the swoony, love story affect I wasn't prepared for. They create a wholesome and content feeling within. As if everything you're seeing is meant to be and REAL. Luca composed these concepts together to create an atmosphere where I can literally see myself falling in love for the first time. The light, bouncy music linked with the floral and traditional Italian architecture and details pair together beautifully. As the setting unravels during the first few minutes of the movie, it's as if you're being transported into the film and throughout the story, you're a bystander watching from afar.