winter in kansas

Winter Is Happening In Kansas, And This California Girl Isn't Totally Ready

The first snow is always beautiful and fun, but what follows isn't always as delightful.

96
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Snow_Scene_at_Shipka_Pass_1.JPG

Ah, November.

The dreaded first month of winter.

The college students hate it because we can no longer wear our running shorts and Adidas slides.

Parents hate it because they realize it is also the beginning of flu season.

Little kids love it because they know that if it snows enough school will be canceled.

However, this California girl never seems to be fully prepared for the first snow or the first day it's below 45 degrees.

Coming from a place that's almost constant sunshine and has days that are above 68 degrees, it's hard when it comes to winter in the Midwest. This is my second winter here in Kansas, but I still don't feel like I'm prepared enough.

Last year, we had two snow days which were the first ones in about five years for the university. This was a very exciting experience for me since I've never had a snow day before.

This year it started snowing the first week of November, and the day had some of the worst windchill I have ever felt.

I really don't think that this California girl was ready to trade her Rainbow's (a brand of flip-flop sandals) for her navy-blue snow booties. Of course, there are still the people that think wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and flip-flops in this weather are a good idea, but we warm weather folk just question those decisions.

Although winter has some downsides, too many to count on one hand, I will say that there are a few perks to the cold.

For instance, there's the beautiful sight of when the snow falls from the sky and hits you lightly in the face. Also, the icicles look incredibly pretty hanging down from the tree branches and roof gutters.

Although the ice is slippery and treacherous, it adds a beautiful glistening glow to all of the buildings on campus, especially the super cool architecture building.

Winter also reminds us of the fact that Christmas break is right around the corner which means several weeks of amazing home-cooked meals and days spent relaxing with our family and friends.

Even though I'm not completely used to winter here in Kansas, I can stick through it for the good parts. If anything, I'll huddle in a blanket and wait for spring!